Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Well today was a good day to stumble upon a lens however I don't know that much about it. I provided a link below for info and a picture of this exact lens.
It's the 28mm f2 wide angle lens listed however I don't know if it would even work on my D50 or not. Not even sure if an adapter is made that would allow it to be used on a DSLR or not. I also came across some filters as well, all 52mm screw-in-mount Nikons with these model numbers #A2, #Y44, #L37 (2 of them), #L1A and it looks like a violet colored filter as well. Also a hood came with it all in the original boxes.
The lens is in perfect condition as it has been stored in a hard case and the only indication where they came from is a sticker on the back from Central Camera, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Any input or advice would be greatly accepted since if I can not use them I might be willing to part with them to someone in a good home ;)
I will post a picture of everything tonight incase I missed something that would be of better help.
Thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/28mmnikkor/index.htm

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When it comes to Nikon lens evaluations, the place I like to go is Bjørn Rorslett's lens evalution page. Bjørn is an honest-to-goodness pro photographer from Norway. He has notes on a huge number of lenses, all based on his personal experience. He even rates them according to the camera he used - some lenses are great for a DX camera, but don't work well on FX; some aren't useful for IR photography (he love IR and UV photography), etc.

Thom Hogan also provides a lot of useful info; but he doesn't rate nearly as many lenses as Bjørn does.

When looking at lenses, you need to watch what generation they're from. A lot of photographers favorite old lenses are AI or AI-S; but those won't work particularly well on your D50.

He does seem to have a good opinion of the AF version of the 28mm - but there have been many different Nikon 28mm lenses, and you don't give any indication regarding which one you're talking about.

One side note - on DX (like your D50), 28mm isn't nearly as useful as it is on FX.

Edit: You mentioned 28mm f/2; sorry I missed that. That's an AI lens, and won't meter on your D50. You'd have to do everything fully manually (including set exposure).

Edit 2: Here's another very useful lens compatibility page provided by Nikonians. According to them, some really old lenses (pre-AI) can actually damage your camera. My understanding, though, is that those really old lenses can be modified to work (still completely manually, though) on newer Nikons.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
He does seem to have a good opinion of the AF version of the 28mm - but there have been many different Nikon 28mm lenses, and you don't give any indication regarding which one you're talking about.

One side note - on DX (like your D50), 28mm isn't nearly as useful as it is on FX.

Edit: You mentioned 28mm f/2; sorry I missed that. That's an AI lens, and won't meter on your D50. You'd have to do everything fully manually (including set exposure).

Thanks Westside guy. The only thing that I do know is what's on the lens itself that is, Nikkor 28mm 1:2 575113. It really is an odd event as I meet a guy at the post office and he gave me this stuff because he saw my camera bag around my shoulder and I helped him with a package. He might have more stuff coming this week but the items might not have the original boxes since this is from an estate. All I thought was what a happy Saturday for me :D
I will look at those links and sites you provided me before I even chance placing any lenses on my D50.
Thanks again and happy shooting :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
On the other hand - if they're cheap (and might be, coming from an estate sale), and you might at some point upgrade to a better camera like the D300, D700, D3... those WILL meter with AI lenses.

See, I don't want to make things too easy for you. :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
On the other hand - if they're cheap (and might be, coming from an estate sale), and you might at some point upgrade to a better camera like the D300, D700, D3... those WILL meter with AI lenses.

See, I don't want to make things too easy for you. :D

Cool as the D300 is on a Xmas wish list ;) But either way I'm going to take it to the local shop in the am and see some compatibility choices as I just read on one of those sites you gave the one with the metal ring is for AI-S (just to help the thread along) and another mentioned it's okay for DX, FX cameras but still when in doubt I'll read, read and read. Great sites, very nice info on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.