Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I have a question about two different lenses.

I'm in the market for a zoom lens and I'm stuck between these two lenses.

The Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 ED and the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 ED.

Exccept for the price and the additional 10mm, I don't know the difference. My main concern is image quality and the f/stop of 2.8 which is nice since I like to do a lot of low light photography and sports photography.

Thanks for any help.

~Crawn

p.s. the cameras used would be the D70s and the D200.

Rocky3478

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
For low light photography you'll want the 70-200 2.8 VR. The VR gives you what, another 3 stops I believe?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I've never used the 80-200 but the 70-200 VR is one of my favorite lenses. It is especially responsive on the D200. If money is not a concern, I would go with that lens, which is considered one of Nikon's best.

On the Nikon Cafe they often refer to "the Three Kings," which are the 12-24mm, the 28-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200 VR f/2.8. With these three outstanding and sharp lenses a photographer can cover a wide range.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Thank you guys for your responses.

I've been saving up for a while for a nice zoom lens. The 70-300 ED just doesn't cut it for me for low light situations.

I've tried this lens at a local shop and it is pretty nice, even if it was for just a few minutes.

Now the question is where to find a good price from a trusted seller online.

~Crawn

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Another nod to the 70-200VR. The VR can be handy, and the AF-S focusing is quick and silent. But the added bonus is with the 70-200VR being compatible with the Nikon tele-converters, doubling the investment in a fine lens.

I have said this before, and I know that everyone wants to save money - but you should not go into a store to just touch and feel merchandise, only to want to find it online elsewhere for less. The more people do this, then you might not have a store to go in to to touch and feel what you want to buy. It costs money to have a storefront, inventory, and to pay the staff.

Yes, this is a pet peeve of mine, and self serving since I work in a camera shop. :) But I remember 20 to 30 years ago there were many camera shops in the DC area. Now there are fewer and fewer. Causes are many. IMO the closings in the past 5 years is due to big box stores and the internet. Thanks for listening. :)

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Nother vote for that 70-200 VR. Really, really nice glass.

(Side note)
Chip,

I feel your pain. My dad put himself through school working at a local camera store. He is so loyal that he still spends most of his money at the same local store. Yes we have become a nation of buying things online and cheap, but sometimes you can't beat paying an extra 30-50 bucks and getting great advice and tips! :)

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Another vote for the 70-200mm. Just purchased it to replace my 80-400mm, and it outperforms it to no end. It's extremely sharp, and is awesomely fast.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Tack another up to the 70-200, and to Chip's note I try to buy as much as I can afford in the B&M stores, sometimes I fall victim to online sales but I try to buy in store (purchased my 20d, 50, 24-70, 580, etc all in store) but a few random accessories (spare batteries, bags, etc) online because the prices are better :eek:

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
goodwill said:
I think the 18-200mm would be just as brilliant of a purchase.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541530721.htm

for an everyday lens, i agree (i have one on order after using a friend's and reading the favorable reviews)...but for the OP's use - sports and lowlight, the 70-200 VR is the way to go...constant 2.8 throughout the zoom range and VR. i'd spring for this lens if i were doing sports shooting as well...

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
Haven't used the 80-200, but the 70-200 2.8 is my favorite lens by far. The IQ is unbelievable and you can get great bokeh, as well.

I've heard the 80-200 is no slouch either, but don't know about the bokeh rendering on that lens.

VR is great; however, don't think it'll help you much in low-light sports photography. May help with panning shots, though.

Frank

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
goodwill said:
I think the 18-200mm would be just as brilliant of a purchase.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541530721.htm

The 18-200mm VR is a lovely walkaround lens, but for this purpose it would not be as satisfactory because it is too "slow." I have both lenses and there are specific shooting situations in which each shines. The 70-200mm VR, in addition to being a very fast lens at f/2.8, also can be extended by adding on a teleconverter to increase the range while not losing too much in the way of f/stops.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
rxse7en said:
Been coveting that VR lens for a while now. Found this: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/599776 ($688 delivered) has anyone seen a deal like that?

B

Frankly, I think it sounds risky. Why not just go to your local brick-and-mortar camera shop and if they have it in stock, examine the lens in person, then buy it there? Or if you really MUST order online, I'd order directly from a reliable source. That place mentioned Ritz and Circuit City as each having the lens; I'd look at those stores' websites to verify that they actually do have it in stock. Penn Camera and B&H are excellent online sources for camera and lens purchases as well.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
Clix Pix said:
Frankly, I think it sounds risky. Why not just go to your local brick-and-mortar camera shop and if they have it in stock, examine the lens in person, then buy it there? Or if you really MUST order online, I'd order directly from a reliable source. That place mentioned Ritz and Circuit City as each having the lens; I'd look at those stores' websites to verify that they actually do have it in stock. Penn Camera and B&H are excellent online sources for camera and lens purchases as well.

I purchased my F100 and a few lenses at Penn Camera (Tysons location) several years ago. I was pleased with the purchase and service. They have been around for a while, not a "here today gone tomorrow with your money" store.

And no, I don't (didn't) work for them.

Mike

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
Chip NoVaMac said:
I have said this before, and I know that everyone wants to save money - but you should not go into a store to just touch and feel merchandise, only to want to find it online elsewhere for less. The more people do this, then you might not have a store to go in to to touch and feel what you want to buy. It costs money to have a storefront, inventory, and to pay the staff.

My local camera shop had a D200 and an 18-200VR lens in stock. Unlike many online vendors, they were kind enough NOT to gouge me on the price and I was happy to pay msrp. I really like the lens and D200 body. I know the 70-200VR is a superior lens but I couldn't justify the price jump, plus the D200 was rather spendy.

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Clix Pix said:

I bought my D70 and lenses at the local Ritz after spending weeks researching online purchases. I too don't buy high ticket items online that may need to be returned. Just posted the link in case someone was looking to save a little and is comfortable buying sight unseen.

B

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
mchendricks said:
I purchased my F100 and a few lenses at Penn Camera (Tysons location) several years ago. I was pleased with the purchase and service. They have been around for a while, not a "here today gone tomorrow with your money" store.

And no, I don't (didn't) work for them.

Mike

I don't work for them either, but I most heartily second your comments! :) I have been a loyal customer there for over fifteen years, maybe longer than that..... Between Penn and the Apple store, I have no problem in finding new goodies on which to spend my money!

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
70-200mm is probably the best lens I've had. THe 80-200 may be tempting with the lower price, but the 70-200mm will hold it's value longer. And so long as you're not shooting wildlife/living things, VR is very helpful.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
efoto said:
Tack another up to the 70-200, and to Chip's note I try to buy as much as I can afford in the B&M stores, sometimes I fall victim to online sales but I try to buy in store (purchased my 20d, 50, 24-70, 580, etc all in store) but a few random accessories (spare batteries, bags, etc) online because the prices are better :eek:

Thanks efoto, I have no qualms about people wanting to order online if they think they can save some money. But don't go in to a store to try something out and then look online for the lowest price. Or worse, go to your local store with questions about your online purchase.:eek:

Keep in mind that lenses can very sample to sample. A B&M store is more likely to try and help you get one that you are happy with. Important on a high-end piece of glass.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks efoto, I have no qualms about people wanting to order online if they think they can save some money. But don't go in to a store to try something out and then look online for the lowest price. Or worse, go to your local store with questions about your online purchase.:eek:

Keep in mind that lenses can very sample to sample. A B&M store is more likely to try and help you get one that you are happy with. Important on a high-end piece of glass.

Precisely why I use the B&M stores, I've had pretty successful results with my lens purchases however I did have to go through a few copies of a particular lens to find a 'good' one. I really like to support B&M's, I go there for my research when the net just doesn't shed enough light on things....and if they convince me I'll buy it then otherwise read up on alternatives and repeat the process ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.