Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
I am currently in Hong Kong and have the opportunity to purchase a D40X with 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens for US $640. This is a very good deal price wise, but when I asked if it was new in box and if it was made in Japan, I was told that it was new in box but made in Thailand.

This seems strange to me. Can anyone who may have a D40X tell me if the camera is in fact made in Japan?

I dont think I am going to make this purchase anyway, but I am curious to know. I think that spending the additional $200 in the US will give me a bit of peace of mind if something were to go wrong.

Thanks....

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have a Nikon film P&S made in Thailand and the AF-D 50mm f/1.4 made in China.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my D200 is made in Thailand

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nikon invested an incredible amount of money the past few years for a factory in Thailand. All DSLR's are manufactured there, except the Top of the line.

D2, D3 series and F6 are manufactured in the Sendai plant in Japan.

The lens situation is pretty similar, Amateur and advanced amateur lenses are made in Thailand whereas Pro lenses are manufactured in Japan.

There's nothing to be afraid of with the place of manufacturing, the lines are designed and brought from Japan, the location is a question of throughput and price.

In the 50's, when Nikon was starting to become popular, many dismissed the brand because everyone knew quality cameras could only come from Germany. Curiously this started to change when a very famous die hard contax photographer went to Japan prior to covering the Korean war and tested a bunch of Nikkor lenses with his camera. He switched in the spot (I believe it was the 50 1.4 that did it). Journalists flocked to Nikon lenses and eventually to Nikon cameras. The rest is history :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Quality-wise, it does not matter where products are assembled.

Products that are properly designed can only be put together one way.

It does matter how they are designed and which materials are used. It is important that there is sufficient testing, a commitment to quality and caring after-sale support.

Generally, the initial design is fine, but then the bean countersgo to work. Maybe using a lower grade plastic will save $1.00 per camera, an electrical contact might use a thinner gold coating and so on. This sort of thing is the reason for most bad products.

That is why I do put a lot of faith in products made by companies that have good records for durability, dealer service and such, rather than just specs.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Ok, that answers one question, but does anyone have an experience with buying from the electronic shops that seem to be every block in Hong Kong?

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Ok, that answers one question, but does anyone have an experience with buying from the electronic shops that seem to be every block in Hong Kong?

Go to a reputable, authorized dealer - ask your hotel to give you a recommendation. Most shops should negotiate prices with you, so be prepared to bargain. You can save some serious money, if you are a bit adventurous and clear-headed.

It's been a long time since I purchased camera gear in the far east (Hong Kong and Singapore) which was always duty free. The products were essentially the same as in the US market, but the warranties weren't "local." That didn't matter to me because I never had a failure (first 3 years) - admittedly the cameras back then were much more durable, and not electronic, which could be more prone to problems.

I had to get past customs with my purchases, and if they looked too new I sometimes would have to answer a few questions about where I bought them, when, etc. I don't know how much you can bring in duty free into the States these days, but I'd check into that.

For complete peace of mind: Wait till you're home like you mentioned, and go to a local photo store. Establish a relationship there, and they should take care of you - it's worth money in the long run.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
As a local I can tell you the best place to get deals is in Tsim Sha Tsui, however you may also run into little troubles there.

Other than checking the camera to check it works etc... you should hold off on signing the credit card receipt or paying cash till your satisfied. I remember years ago when I was with my mum they assured us they had a camera and printed the credit card receipt out ready for a signature, but we didn't sign it, and they stalled and it turned out then didn't have the camera. The transaction was cancelled, the receipt ripped up and we kept the receipt.

Moved on to the next spot and they had the camera, paid for it, still have it.

That being said, there are some good camera shops outside the Wanchai Computer Centre in Wanchai next to the Southorn Playground and MTR exit A.

The warranty for most things is world wide, it's assembled in one place, bought in another, breaks in another and fixed in yet another. You'll get a warranty card with your purchase and a receipt showing when it was bought... Hong Kong is one of the best spots to buy tech, no duty and lower prices in general.

And FYI I can even point you in the right direction for some good Mac deals while your here ;) Send me a PM if you want to know more.

Go to a reputable, authorized dealer - ask your hotel to give you a recommendation. Most shops should negotiate prices with you, so be prepared to bargain. You can save some serious money, if you are a bit adventurous and clear-headed.

Sometimes that's not the best bet in Hong Kong. The bigger shops have to pay higher rent as they're in the malls and the consumer doesn't end up saving ;)

Most places in Hong Kong are fairly reputable if you follow the above advice. Not handing over cash or singing for a product until your satisfied.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Great advice, Samh004. It's always best to get the information straight from the source... :)
The only thing about the warranties, even thought they are legit anywhere in the world, is that the local US official Nikon repair centers probably won't honor an out of country warranty claim, and you will have to send the camera somewhere overseas to have it fixed/or replaced under warranty. It's like buying a "gray market" product here in the States - same product, not intended for the US market, often a little cheaper, but not much.

I really would hope that one warranty would be good worldwide, but often that isn't the case.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Great advice, Samh004. It's always best to get the information straight from the source... :)
The only thing about the warranties, even thought they are legit anywhere in the world, is that the local US official Nikon repair centers probably won't honor an out of country warranty claim, and you will have to send the camera somewhere overseas to have it fixed/or replaced under warranty. It's like buying a "gray market" product here in the States - same product, not intended for the US market, often a little cheaper, but not much.

I really would hope that one warranty would be good worldwide, but often that isn't the case.

Perhaps a trip online to find out if Nikon will honour worldwide warranties or not is in order. I know Apple warranties are good world wide, as I've bought and then had repairs in another country before.

Anyway a warranty is only useful if something bad happens, it's a worst case scenario. Also, doesn't visa insure you anyway, much the same way a warranty would work ?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The only thing about the warranties, even thought they are legit anywhere in the world, is that the local US official Nikon repair centers probably won't honor an out of country warranty claim, and you will have to send the camera somewhere overseas to have it fixed/or replaced under warranty.

While it's certainly worth checking, Nikon USA will usually honor a warranty where the customer purchased it overseas and has the original receipt, but not where the camera was imported by a vendor to a US customer (grey market.)

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
My understanding is that the Nikon facility in Thailand is quite modern and nothing of which to be afraid. I've used Nikon products from Japan, China, and Thailand, and they all are excellent.

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Nikon warranties used to be world wide, but since a couple years ago, their "digital products" warranties are local only. This is, of course, to discourage the black market which is pretty severe in several countries.

I do not remember where lens warranties stand. I'll have to look into that.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

Go to a reputable, authorized dealer - ask your hotel to give you a recommendation.

Dodgy as hell. Don't even ask your hotel. They don't know these things.

I have never done any serious camera shopping in HK, but I know the place fairly well, and happen to know where all the best camera shops are.....the ones that won't fark with you.

1. Never trust any store with bright neon signs. They're only to attract tourists. ;)

2. Wing Shing & Man Shing in Mongkok. They're owned by the same people, I believe, and their prices are very good. I forget which one is bigger, but they're also located VERY close to each other, so it doesn't matter. Their stock is supposed to be very impressive. You can't negotiate on the price with either store, so don't bother. They speak English too, if you want to ruin the travel experience and speak in English.

3. Citicall. They're a fairly big chain store, I believe. Fortress are as well. They'll sell you the camera, and often at a good price. They may even have a few lenses. I think Citicall may be better than Fortress.

4. Tin Cheung (pronounced "Teen" Cheung) in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui? I can't spell it in English) is famous, and they sell used goods too, I believe. They're well known to be a bit tricker to shop from them than Wing Shing and Man Shing, but their prices are supposed to be better than both. Also, I believe you can negotiate on the price at Tin Cheung. Make sure you know what price you're paying, though. If you want the warranty, make sure the price they list is for the genuine, valid HK stock, and not grey market. Ask them this question explicitly.

Go here to see where to get the best prices

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Dodgy as hell. Don't even ask your hotel. They don't know these things.

Depends which hotel he's staying at, there are some very good hotels in Hong Kong that know where to send people, and then there are some that are crap.

3. Citicall. They're a fairly big chain store, I believe. Fortress are as well. They'll sell you the camera, and often at a good price. They may even have a few lenses. I think Citicall may be better than Fortress.

Don't go to fortress for your camera needs. *shudder*

TST (Tsim Sha Tsui? I can't spell it in English)

You spelled it right.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately, I have left HK already and I am now in Taipei. I stayed away from the "neon lights" guys. I actually found a shop in the basement shopping mall of the Sheraton on Nathan Road. They had everything I was looking for, in the original box, packaging etc. The problem was, they wanted more than I wanted to pay and even more than what I would pay in the US with tax included. I made them what I thought was a fair offer, but they wanted nothing of it.

Oh well. I will see if there is anything interesting in Taipei! I have some more time here than I did in HK.

Again, thanks all for the suggestions. I wish I had more time to check things out. I will certainly plan better next time.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There's a rather large electronics store across from Taipei Main Station, on the main street. It's right beside a Japanese department store.....maybe Takashimaya, or Mitsukoshi. It doesn't look big, but it's multi-level, and there's a Muji on the top floor. They may sell cameras, although I can't really remember. :)

So if you're in that area, you may as well check it out. Otherwise, don't go out of your way to check a store I'm not sure about.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
There's a rather large electronics store across from Taipei Main Station, on the main street. It's right beside a Japanese department store.....maybe Takashimaya, or Mitsukoshi. It doesn't look big, but it's multi-level, and there's a Muji on the top floor. They may sell cameras, although I can't really remember. :)

So if you're in that area, you may as well check it out. Otherwise, don't go out of your way to check a store I'm not sure about.

Thanks for the thought. I have many contacts here in Taipei that will be able to confirm. Too bad, I was just by the main station. We took the new high speed rail from Kaohsiung to Taipei (we had to make a few stops in between) but the Taipei terminal is right there. It is only a short cab ride and I have some time on Wednesday. Maybe I will go check it out then.

Thanks again.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
This probably isn't much help to the OP, but I saw this thread and just had to share:eek:

well, I actually bough my Nikon in Thailand so I was thinking...ah...local made:D

skarrlette

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
Then gentleman one post above me just stated that Nikon no longer makes the DSLR camera in Japan anymore. However I just saw the DSLR cameras in a local electronic store here in the US where the cameras were made in Japan.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
^
Nikon still makes their highest-end products in Japan. I've seen up to a D300 been made in Thailand...D3's are all made in Japan I'm pretty sure. I would speculate that the D700 is made in Japan as well.

My 18-55mm and 55-200 is made in Thailand, whereas my 70-200/2.8 VR is made in Japan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.