Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theNIC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
I'm trying to upgrade my camera from a Sony CyberShot DSC-S650 to a nicer one, and was wondering if a Nikon N60 with the following specs would an upgrade, or a waste of money:

Quantaray 28-80 mm, 1:3.5-5.6
Sigma 75-200mm, 2.8 -3.5

Keep in mind I'm not a professional photographer, but just getting into it more.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Are you asking about N60 as in 35mm film body?

Or are you asking about D60 as in APS-C DSLR body?

If it's the D60, definately worth the upgrade. If it's the N60, I probably wouldn't, but only because I wouldn't want to deal with the film. Digital is so much more convenient.

SLC

theNIC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
It's the N60. I didn't know if it was digital or not so I guess I won't be "upgrading". By any chance do they make digital versions of the N60 do you know?

Thanks

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The N60 was a low end and now undesirable film body. Perfectly usable, but not something you would choose. Read Thom Hogan's thoughts here: http://www.bythom.com/Bodies.htm . As it happens there was an early digital SLR which was based upon the body - the Fujifilm S1 pro. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujis1pro/

There is no chance that an 'N60' would be digital however. All of Nikon's digital SLRs are called 'Dx(xx)' as in D1, D1h, D100, D70, D50, etc. Current models are the D3000, D5000, D90, D300s, D700, D3 and D3x.

theNIC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Alright, thanks. Can you suggest a camera, it doesn't have to be the newest model - just whatever you think would be a good starter.

Thank you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm trying to upgrade my camera from a Sony CyberShot DSC-S650 to a nicer one, and was wondering if a Nikon N60 with the following specs would an upgrade, or a waste of money:

Quantaray 28-80 mm, 1:3.5-5.6
Sigma 75-200mm, 2.8 -3.5

I THINK what you are asking is this...

I own an N60 (it's a film based auto focus Nikon SLR body) and I have two lenses. Can I upgrade the SLR body and use the lenses I have with the new digital body?

If that is the question, then the answer is "yes". (but see below about focus motors)

However you will almost certianly want a wider lens in addition to those above. The new digital body has a sensor that is smaller than the 35mm film frame. But any camera body you buy will come with a 18-55mm lens which goes down to 18mm and will be "wide enough"

The current low-end Nikon digital bodies all lack an in-body focus motor. They can only auto-focus with lenses that have their own in-lens motor. All older Nikon bodies (including your old film body) and all of the higher end current bodies have in-body motors. It is only the current generation of low-end bodies that lack this feature.

I'd bet quite a bit that none of your lense have internal focus motors so if you'd like to use the auto-focus feature yu will need to buy a body with motor. A used D50 would be a great option. Price on the used market is about $300 to $350. If you want a new camera then youd be looking at the D80 or above.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
As Mr. Hogan says, avoid the N60. The N65 is the lowest Nikon autofocus film camera that is fully compatible with all Nikon autofocuses lenses, meaning that it can use VR and AF-S normally.

Better to go with the N80, which is a slimmed down F100. I have it and it has been great for me.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
If you're not interested in the N60 then, the next cheapest option you'll have if you want to use your quantaray and sigma lenses would be to buy a used Nikon D80. The D80 is a very capable camera, you could do much much worse. It's not going to be cheap though.

My move would be to get rid of the two lenses you have now and find a used D60 or a new or used D40 from Nikon. They won't autofocus with your lenses you already have, but those lenses aren't really worth hanging on to IMO. Get the D40 with the 18-55 kit lens, and if you can spring it, some other AF-S tele zoom such as the 55-200 (VR if you can afford it).

Other lens options that I'd buy under your situation would be to scrap the 18-55 and 55-200 and just buy an 18-105 or 18-200 and use them as the all-in-one they were intended to be.

DSLR's aren't cheap, and having a DSLR hobby isn't cheap either.

SLC

theNIC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but you guys aren't understanding I don't have a Nikon N60. I have a Sony Cybershot.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but you guys aren't understanding I don't have a Nikon N60. I have a Sony Cybershot.

Sorry. I guess people are wondering why you're asking about a film camera in a Digital Photography forum thread.

Nikon SLR's are great - I ended up with that system before going digital. I still have my N70 and kit lens as I couldn't give it away. I use the lens on my digitals. Here's online pricing for it:

http://www.adorama.com/US 312191.html?searchinfo=Nikon+n60

The camera is around $30 and lenses around $60 each if you need sort of a gauge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.