Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikon neck strap or Canon neck strap?

• Nikon neck strap

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Canon neck strap

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
hello I am looking to buy a neck strap for my camera and I do not no which brand is better for neck straps. I here there are benefits for both brand but like to get some feedback from owners.

Thanks!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
1) did your camera not come with a neck strap? Is it a DSLR?
2) it would be a little strange to use a canon strap on a nikon camera/vice versa wouldn't you think? Especially since the straps are essentially the same, save for the branding
3) i would go with neither too- I use Op-Tech's pro strap system. It's great and a lot more comfortable than the pack-in nikon strap.

Ruahrc

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You REALLY need a "neither" option for this poll.

It's the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap for me. It's what I had on my D70, and now it's on my D700. Great strap - much superior to Nikon's own strap (plus there's no "hey come steal my D700!" label on it).

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I actually got my camera second-hand without neckstrap, don't know what the previous owner had done of it. Got the neckstrap from my dad's old Canon AE-1, plain black.

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
2) it would be a little strange to use a canon strap on a nikon camera/vice versa wouldn't you think? Especially since the straps are essentially the same, save for the branding

This is a strange thread :confused:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
RS-5 here. It has replaced my camera case in the field. I feel like a digital bandito with it. I have the OpTech also, and it's a good strap too.

Dale

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
How does the RS-7 and RS-5 differ from the RS-4? And do you have any experience using an R-strap with a battery grip?

The RS-5 has nice magnetic closure pockets for stuff and the RS-7 has extra attachment points for modifications.

I've used the R5 with a battery grip on my XSi. It's OK. I'm waiting for them to get their replacement ring for Manfrotto quick-release tripod plates into production. It replaces the ring on the Manfrotto plate with a stainless steel one that folds out of the way for tripod mount.

Black Rapid Products

Dale

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
How does the RS-7 and RS-5 differ from the RS-4? And do you have any experience using an R-strap with a battery grip?

Another vote for the Black Rapid setup. I'm using one of their adapters (but with a third party strap) on the bottom of my D700 with a grip. No problems at all.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
+1 for the Black Rapid, no neck fatigue since I got my RS-4 Strap with R-2 Fastener.

Only issue is the camera does not sit on the base plate when I take it off.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
+1 for the Black Rapid, no neck fatigue since I got my RS-4 Strap with R-2 Fastener.

Well, if you have a battery grip, the camera can't sit on its base anymore anyway (unless you use a really, really light lens). I was more thinking about problems using the camera in portrait orientation.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I use it on a D300 with battery grip and it's great. Many of my pics are portrait. I never have issues like I did with a normal strap. I never could stand having the camera around my neck. Mostly due to 5 surgeries leaving scars. The R Strap is a beauty. I walk for hours now and don't fidget much like I used to. I always wound up carrying my camera and by the end of the day I'd have terrible hand pain. I wish I hadn't bawked at the price and got one sooner.

I do have a nice Tamrac quick release, nice for those times you want to pop your camera strap off and use a tripod. The R Strap comes off just as easy.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah

It does if you use a Kirk Enterprises L-bracket. I can use both portrait and landscape sides of the bracket with a tripod while leaving my RS-strap attached.
:D

ColorLuvvr

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
San Francisco, CA, USA
Another Vote for the Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap

trust me, you will be SO glad you got it.

I did a lot of trying out of different straps. The crumpler one is where it's at. very comfy and strong.

also, IMHO, people walking around with the words "Nikon" "Olympus" "Canon" around their neck a. look like tourists b. look like easy prey for thieves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.