Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vchalupa

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Over the years as I've gotten more and more interested in photography I'd gotten to appreciate Nikon cameras. I shoot professional photography in indoor settings and the occasional outdoor setting. I use a Nikon DSLR right now but I'm familiar with the coolpix line up.

The one suggestion that I would make for you is choose any Nikon camera with a hotshoe on it. I used to have a Coolpix 5400 and I used an external flash with the camera. You won't believe how much the image quality went up because of the flash. The pictures were absolutely stellar with only 5.1 mega pixels and a small CCD. If you're going to shoot mostly outdoor setting pictures, then this shouldn't matter to you but if you're shooting any indoor shots, definitely think about getting a camera with a hot shoe. It may cost a little more, but trust me you will not regret it. My Coolpix 5400 with the external flash shot better pictures than my friend's D80...with his external flash.

I generally use this site to get information on cameras...take a look, it might be helpful!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Good luck!

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
A flash is not the solve all, especially if you plan on shooting something more then 20 feet away. The P80 is supposed to be an excellent high end point and shoot, another option might be the Canon G9.

None can replace the depth of field control and speed of a digital SLR, but the point and shoot aspect will probably help your picture quality.

Just buy it and try it! Find a retailer with a good return policy, and if you hate it; send it back.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm confused how having a point and shoot will help picture quality? With minimal knowledge most people can take good shots without a point and shoot.

The P80 appears to be the replacement to the Coolpix series (8700+), which were highly regarded for those who wanted the quality they'd get from an entry-level DSLR but without the hassle of changing lenses. With those cameras you will find that you can control most settings yourself, but what sets them aside from DSLRs (with the exception of the obvious) is that the "auto" mode seems to deliver shots that are slightly more polished. At least that is my opinion based on usage of both the Coolpix series and the prosumer DSLRs.

I believe it's a great camera to start with and it will grow with you for a short period of time. If you never see yourself stepping into the DSLR would then this is about where you'd want to be.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I'm confused how having a point and shoot will help picture quality? With minimal knowledge most people can take good shots without a point and shoot.

The P80 appears to be the replacement to the Coolpix series (8700+), which were highly regarded for those who wanted the quality they'd get from an entry-level DSLR but without the hassle of changing lenses. With those cameras you will find that you can control most settings yourself, but what sets them aside from DSLRs (with the exception of the obvious) is that the "auto" mode seems to deliver shots that are slightly more polished. At least that is my opinion based on usage of both the Coolpix series and the prosumer DSLRs.

I believe it's a great camera to start with and it will grow with you for a short period of time. If you never see yourself stepping into the DSLR would then this is about where you'd want to be.

For someone who does not want to have to think about aperture, asa, shutter speed and exposure, yeah, I think that point and shoot will greatly improve their pictures. I'm not sure what you are getting at... basic understanding? Hardly. I could hand my camera to my mom, who can get great pictures with her camera, and she wouldn't have a clue as to what to do; nor any desire to learn.

For posterity's sake, I'm considering "auto" mode on a digital SLR as a point and shoot, as you are simply pointing and shooting.

Cameras should be separated as compact vs SLR, not "P&S vs SLR" as there are point and shoot cameras that happen to fit in the genre of a SLR camera.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Cameras should be separated as compact vs SLR, not "P&S vs SLR" as there are point and shoot cameras that happen to fit in the genre of a SLR camera.

SLR refers to the type of mechanism, so there aren't point and shoot cameras that fit into the SLR category.

I understand your point, but disagree. I think there's an important distinction between advanced point and shoot's and dSLRs.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
SLR refers to the type of mechanism, so there aren't point and shoot cameras that fit into the SLR category.

I understand your point, but disagree. I think there's an important distinction between advanced point and shoot's and dSLRs.

Like I said, Canon Rebel and Nikon d40/60 are cameras marketed as "point and shoot" but are in fact single lens reflex cameras; hence my distinction in body size rather then purpose.

You can use a 5d on program auto and its a point and shoot. You can use a d40 on fully manual and it is not; hence why I'm against the P&S monomer.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
You can use a 5d on program auto and its a point and shoot. You can use a d40 on fully manual and it is not; hence why I'm against the P&S monomer.

But I can't hand my mother one of these 'neutrered' SLRs and expect her to be able to operate it––because of the zoom ring and lack of live-view on the LCD (exceptions, yes, but in the D300's implementation it's pretty different).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was thinking about getting one of these. Has anybody had any good/bad relations with them. I am replacing an old 3MP digital I got years ago and now I am starting to get in photography. link:
http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/coolpix/p80/index.htm
I can get it from $370-$399. If anybody has a better camera for the price please post.

$399? For that price you could get a good used Nikon D50 with the standard kit lens. The D50 would be dramatically better and cost less. The only reason to concider paying $400 for a non-SLR camera is because you need to cary it in your pocket.

Also you say ""starting to get in photography". I assume you means in a more serious way then simply taking snapshots. If so it's the SLR you need. But if you want a pocketable camera the P80 is not it.

This might be true but "P&S has become a common term in the industry to define a class of cameras The term was coined before the digital age to describe a kind of camera that is marketed to the consummer. Now that SLRs have computers inside and are auto-everything P&S could describe an SLR and I even suspect that 90% of all SLRs are in fact used in full automatic mode. But you can't roll back history, so the term sticks

Why do we still talk about Single Lens Reflex cameras? Aren't the Twin Lens Reflex cameras pretty much gone? Why not call them "reflex" or make up a new name. Or here is another one: Why do we say "f-stop" to refer to an aperure setting. It's short for "Field Stop" which was a metel plate with a hole in it that was placed in front of the lens to reduce the amount of light entering the lens. Now days we use an internal iris diaphram and no one caries around a set of "stops" any more. Historic terms just stick around.

K3mp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
$399? For that price you could get a good used Nikon D50 with the standard kit lens. The D50 would be dramatically better and cost less.
Would this camera be good for action shoots? I would be taking pictures of skate boarding and baseball. I would also be taking many pictures of birds. Also is there a noticeable difference between 6 and 10.1 MP? Thanks for all the help.:D I would also be taking pics off landscapes.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Would this camera be good for action shoots? I would be taking pictures of skate boarding and baseball. I would also be taking many pictures of birds. Also is there a noticeable difference between 6 and 10.1 MP? Thanks for all the help.:D

SLRs are almost always better for action… near-instant shutter release, whereas with the blight of the P&S is the shutter lag (I cannot speak for either model specifically, however)

There is a noticeable difference between 6 and 10.1… but I don't think you would see it often enough to worry about it.

If you don't mind carrying around more camera, I'd also suggest a SLR for action. Perhaps visiting your closest camera shop is called for?

K3mp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
SLRs are almost always better for action… near-instant shutter release, whereas with the blight of the P&S is the shutter lag (I cannot speak for either model specifically, however)

There is a noticeable difference between 6 and 10.1… but I don't think you would see it often enough to worry about it.

If you don't mind carrying around more camera, I'd also suggest a SLR for action. Perhaps visiting your closest camera shop is called for?
I planned on bringing a lot of camera with me. If I wanted just to take some quick pictures my iPhone will be good enough. What do yall think of this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._cp_ob_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1211512332&sr=1-16
?

K3mp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2008
S.E. Louisiana
Perhaps visiting your closest camera shop is called for?

Some people my mom's side of the family artists. My art teacher lives next door. I'll get there input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.