Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I recently bought the nikon LS5000 ED for slides and negatives.
I've been very impressed at the quality (and amazed at how different I look from my university days now that i'm scanning in my 35mm negs, but that's another thread :)

BUT, nikon scan 4 keeps crashing! I've tried it on a mac pro with Tiger (I realized intels are not officially supported) and on a G5 dually 2.0 with Tiger, which is actually more the nut buster. I'll set up a scan of 4 negs and it will be almost through the last scan and it crashes, thus losing all 4 images (which is beyond dumb b/c I would think it would save each neg as it's scanned).

I seem to have the latest version which is 4.0.2.

I use Silverfast for my Epson scanner, but I don't feel like paying a large chunk more for its support. I've heard about Vuescan, but I have to admit, aside from the crashing issue, the Nikon Scan 4 is fantastic. It has a great range of tools right there and does an amazing job.

Any ideas? Am I the only one experiencing this? Oh, I also tried scanning on my old G4 dually 1.25 and it worked just fine - except it took FOREVER to finish the images :) lol It is old and slower...a great machine, but just not as powerful.

Cheers,
Keebler

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Hey Keebler-
Yeah, I bought the Coolscan 5000 about 6 months ago, and for the first 2 months I struggled with Nikon Scan. I then got VueScan- yeah it's $70, but I have yet to crash it. It's stable, more flexible, and by far the best money I've spent on software. NikonScan and their "RAW" format can go and *&%*%* (&^(((^^(* ^^&^& !!!!!!!!! (or something like that ;))

PS- this was the same for a Dual 2.5 G5, my MBP, and an AL iMac

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hey Keebler-
Yeah, I bought the Coolscan 5000 about 6 months ago, and for the first 2 months I struggled with Nikon Scan. I then got VueScan- yeah it's $70, but I have yet to crash it. It's stable, more flexible, and by far the best money I've spent on software. NikonScan and their "RAW" format can go and *&%*%* (&^(((^^(* ^^&^& !!!!!!!!! (or something like that ;))

PS- this was the same for a Dual 2.5 G5, my MBP, and an AL iMac

thanks Lovesong - glad to know i'm not the only one (as I come back to another crash! :(

I take it vuescan handles Digital ICE without a problem too?
Cheers
Keebler

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
thanks Lovesong - glad to know i'm not the only one (as I come back to another crash! :(

I take it vuescan handles Digital ICE without a problem too?
Cheers
Keebler

Yup, it allows for essentially all the functions that the 5000 has, including ICE, ROC, GEM, DEE, and multiple exposure scanning. It takes a little getting used to (as it's not as straight-forward as the Nikon software) but once you figure it out (they have great support) you can do things like profile a film or a scanner, have a real RAW file that you can open in LR (I just use tiffs and process them using Bridge/PS), and an option where you can have your IR file (for ICE) written separately so that you can tweak it (I've never used that, but it sounds cool).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Yup, it allows for essentially all the functions that the 5000 has, including ICE, ROC, GEM, DEE, and multiple exposure scanning. It takes a little getting used to (as it's not as straight-forward as the Nikon software) but once you figure it out (they have great support) you can do things like profile a film or a scanner, have a real RAW file that you can open in LR (I just use tiffs and process them using Bridge/PS), and an option where you can have your IR file (for ICE) written separately so that you can tweak it (I've never used that, but it sounds cool).

oh boy. i dloaded the demo. i consider myself a decent sw user and i must say...their UI does suck. :( I will need some time getting use to this. I guess in the end, it's better than having a program crash. I really like Nikon's UI and tools - very, very easy to use and right there. clicking tabs is a waste, but saving settings will help there no doubt.

if only nikon wouldn't crash.... :(

btw, i bought the book by Sascha Seinhoff you had recommended. A good read - still have to finish it.

Cheers,
Keebler

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada

Hi Lovesong,

Thought I would post back to help you or others. I called Nikon b/c this crashing issue is unacceptable. I needed some answers. Of course, the tech asks if I have any other USB devices plugged in, which I do (wacom tablet). Says to remove it.

He then suggest to delete the software, which I do.
then create a new user acct with admin privileges. He said maybe my main admin acct has an issue.

Then re-install the software.

Well, I did all that and knock on wood 3 times for good luck, I haven't had it crash yet (down about 30 negs so far).

Cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.