Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

I had a post last year asking about scanning software.

I have silverfast for my Epson, but didn't (and still don't) feel like paying almost $400 for the version needed for my Nikon LS-5000.

I don't like the lack of colour controls with Vuescan, which does look like a solid program.

I do like Nikon Scan 4...in fact, I like the high degree of controls available, but
OMG it is TERRIBLE on mac os x. It crashes more than any windows program ever did.

So I became angry and loaded the windows version on my bootcamp partition.

The result:

the good: scanning without any issues. FANTASTIC!

the bad: i feel shame for making my mac use windows when I'd really like to use mac os.

I guess i should be just angry at nikon for not upgrading or fixing the bugs. I called them and they pretty much just don't care about this app.

Granted, I understand that maybe these scanners aren't flying off the shelves, but shame on them for making such a crap program.

<sigh> there I feel better now.

Cheers,
keebler

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah I think Nikon hasn't updated that scanning app for many years (last update: 06/14/2004). It's really awful. I guess I should try out the bootcamp solution.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
From what I've seen ALL of Nikon's software runs poorly on the Mac with a very "un-Mac-like" user interface.

I have the same opinion of Silverfast. Very poor on the Mac and I think they are STILL running under Rosetta and are not yet universal binary.

I disagree with you about vuescan. It seems to work well for me. Get the "pro" version. It uses calibrated targets (Yes those targets are expensive, but they are lab grade devices that are tracable to a calibrated standard.) The proversion knows about color profiles and the like. The pro version is afordable too with very good licensing terms

Look here for details
http://www.hamrick.com/index.html

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Try VueScan. It will amaze you. I have SilverFast, but not longer use it. I now use VueScan, because it's easy to learn how to use it, and does an outstanding job.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
From what I've seen ALL of Nikon's software runs poorly on the Mac with a very "un-Mac-like" user interface.

I have the same opinion of Silverfast. Very poor on the Mac and I think they are STILL running under Rosetta and are not yet universal binary.

I disagree with you about vuescan. It seems to work well for me. Get the "pro" version. It uses calibrated targets (Yes those targets are expensive, but they are lab grade devices that are tracable to a calibrated standard.) The proversion knows about color profiles and the like. The pro version is afordable too with very good licensing terms

Look here for details
http://www.hamrick.com/index.html

thanks Chris.

for vuescan, when you mention calibrated targets, are you saying that provides more control before the scan or that is does a proper calibrated preview and scan?

I do agree with the pricing on VS...very affordable.

I think my problem is that I simply don't wan to take the time to really learn a new app, but maybe i need to spend time doing it.

I do know that under this bootcamp with XP, the Nikon scan has been fantastic thus far.

I'm like the shoemaker's family - always transferring videos and photos for clients, but never for my family :) So now, I'm spending some time trying to scan in my 35mm negs from when my wife and I started dating to now. Should be a neat movie by the time I'm done. :)

Alaskamoose - completely agree with silverfast. It's fantastic on my PPc Dually G5, but terrible on my intel Mac Pro. :(

Cheers,
Keebler

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
I run Nikon Scan 4 on my PC with a Coolscan V ED, and it's extraordinarily unstable. In fact a quick Internet search reveals that this is the case across both platforms. It seems that Nikon should just stick to making hardware and leave the software for someone else to make.

Re: VueScan. I heard somewhere that it doesn't support Digital ICE. Is this really the case? Maybe I'll look it up.

EDIT: I've since researched it, and VueScan does support Infrared dust removal but isn't licensed to use Kodak's Digital ICE technique. Whether this makes a difference, I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.