Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hello,
My Grandpa is interested in selling his Nikon F3 camera (1270476). I think it's about 20 years old, so isn't in excellent condition anymore. It also has a Nikkor 50mm F1:1.2 lense with it. What value would this selling it body alone, or with the lense?

I'm also thinking about getting a Nikon D50. If I were to keep the lense, would that work with the D50?
While I'm talking about the D50, I've found it for $350. Has anyone heard of Genius Cameras, and would this be a safe place to order from?

Thanks!

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
buffalo said:
Hello,
My Grandpa is interested in selling his Nikon F3 camera (1270476). I think it's about 20 years old, so isn't in excellent condition anymore. It also has a Nikkor 50mm F1:1.2 lense with it. What value would this selling it body alone, or with the lense?

I'm also thinking about getting a Nikon D50. If I were to keep the lense, would that work with the D50?
While I'm talking about the D50, I've found it for $350. Has anyone heard of Genius Cameras, and would this be a safe place to order from?

Thanks!

it has scam written all over it! avg price of the kit is 600$ so goto cnet.com or some where .. where you can read reviews about the shops.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
buffalo said:
Hello,

Can't answer about the potential resale value of the F3, but my eyes lit up when seeing the mention of a 50 mm f/1.2. That is a VERY fast lens (meaning that one can use it to shoot in very low lighting) and if you don't want it, I'm sure that some avid photographer would appreciate it..... Hey, I'll be happy to take it off your hands! :D Yes, it should work on a D50 or any of Nikon's modern digital cameras. I don't think it is an autofocus lens, I believe it's manual-only, but that is not a critical issue because very often in low-light situations it's necessary to manually focus anyway. Seriously, definitely hang on to that lens if you're going to be buying a new Nikon digital camera.

As for where to buy a new camera, first thing to do is to check your local camera shop (which also may handle used equipment and which may be able to take care of your granddad's F3). Handle the D50 and the D70s, see how they feel in your hands and how you like the menu system and the placement of the various controls. See if you can get a good deal in your local store rather than shopping online because at the local store you'll get personalized attention, help in learning about the equipment and definitely support if you run into problems with the new camera gear. I much prefer to use my local shop, one with which I've been dealing for at least 16 or 18 years, because I know that I will always have trustworthy service from them. The other day I ran in there to pick up a cable release. The person selling it to me took the time to pull a demo D200 off the shelf and to show me how the cable release would fit into the 10-pin socket (they're different on each camera). Sure, I probably could've ordered the cable release online and maybe saved a few bucks (in state taxes) but I didn't even consider doing that.

As for ordering and buying online, this is an area in which a lot of people get stung. DON'T buy from someplace which offers what seem to be too-good-to-be-true deals. They ARE too good to be true. Usually the buyer gets suckered one way or another. There are a few reputable dealers online: B&H, Calumet, Adorama....but there are an awful lot of not-so-reputable ones. Be very careful if you decide to purchase online. I personally recommend that if you've got a good full-service brick-and-mortar store in your area, go there before spending any money on a camera.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
buffalo said:
Hello,

The body is worth $250 to $350 right now. The lens might be worth $200 to $300.

Not really designed for the is camera.

While I'm talking about the D50, I've found it for $350. Has anyone heard of Genius Cameras, and would this be a safe place to order from?!

Why is that when people see a camera that sells for $699 at most local dealers, they think that they can buy the same thing for half the price?

But hey, I found a Brooklyn car dealer selling a brand new Ford 2006 Mustang Convertible for just $13,000. Do you think that they are a good dealer to buy from?:p

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm shopping too

The F3 is one of the Nikon film cameras that has held some value. But even so film cameras are not easy to sell. One good way to find out a camera's value is to look it up at http://www.KEH.com and subtract about 20% because you as a private party seller can't get KEH's prices. Answer is "about $300 to $500" depending on the details.

The lens will work with the N50 but you loose ALL meter modes you
would need a hand held meter or just guess at the exposure setting.
You would need to use manual exposure and manual focus.
But it will make nice pictures and would work well as a studio portrat lens.
In a studio setting you can do test exposures

Those shops selling the D50 for less then $500 are scammers. There is no way on Earth you will get it at that price. Typically after accepting the order they have you call "to confirm" and then they say "We are out of stock but you can have the D50 kit with some other stuff for only $650" You try to cancel the order but they hang up on you. Finaaly you cancel then they charge you a "restocking fee" of 20%. It will take you 6 months to get the money back and that's only if your credit card company is good.
These crooks are _professionals_ they are good at it. The D50 body sells for $550.00 or very close to that.

Look at this: http://www.resellerratings.com/
On a ten scale these guys rate 0.07 that's about as bad as it gets
To calibrate this try looking up either "B&H" or "Calumet". These
are both first rate outfits.

B&H has a good deal going now, they toss in a 1GB SD card for like $10 over the basic $550 price. I'm shopping too to let me know if you find a better deal from an honest dealer.

buffalo said:
Hello,

Thanks!

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Clix Pix said:
Can't answer about the potential resale value of the F3, but my eyes lit up when seeing the mention of a 50 mm f/1.2. That is a VERY fast lens (meaning that one can use it to shoot in very low lighting) and if you don't want it, I'm sure that some avid photographer would appreciate it..... Hey, I'll be happy to take it off your hands! :D Yes, it should work on a D50 or any of Nikon's modern digital cameras. I don't think it is an autofocus lens, I believe it's manual-only, but that is not a critical issue because very often in low-light situations it's necessary to manually focus anyway. Seriously, definitely hang on to that lens if you're going to be buying a new Nikon digital camera.

Agreed with your assessment of the lens. It is indeed very fast and I would definately hold on to it. I have an F3 and an F2 in like new conditions. both cameras are a joy to use. You will not be able to match film performance at high ASA setting with digital and then there is that 1.5 x factor with lenses. ALso, with film you don't have to worry about spare batteries if you travel in the outback

Nikon AI lenses only work in manual setting on the D50 as other have mentioned with no exposure metering. However, they should work with the D200 but that is another price range.

I still use my film Nikons but now I use a Coolpix scanner and I still have access to all of the great lenses and attachments that Nikon used to make.

Your granfather should GIVE you the camera, NOT sell it to You!!!

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
ScubaDuc said:
Your granfather should GIVE you the camera, NOT sell it to You!!!

He did give it to me, he doesn't use it much anymore since he got himself a small digital.

But, if I were to sell the camera, how would I best go about doing it? ebay?? Would it be better to just sell the body, or the body with the lense

I might be taking a film class next year in school (film cameras only), so I might I'll go ahead and keep it, but we'll see what happens.

I didn't think the $350 D50 was legit, but I'll be sure to stay away from it.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Along with the Nikkor 50mm 1:1.2, I also got a:

Nikon Lens Series E Zoom 70~210mm 1:4 and
Nikon AF Nikkor 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5D

I know that the 50mm 1:1.2 is better than the 28-70, but how does the 70~210mm zoom lens stack up?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
buffalo said:
...I know that the 50mm 1:1.2 is better than the 28-70, but how does the 70~210mm zoom lens stack up?

I think you can group the "E Series lenses and the 28-70 together. In both cases the goal was low cost. The "E" lenes where lower priced manual focus lenses and the 28-70 was the kit lens sold with some of the early consummer model auto focus film camers line the N6006 and N8008.

I bought a 28-70 with an N8008 body once. In was in a car that was stolen so I used it only for a couple years. Within it's limits the lens was good. It would work well with a digital body it you didn't need wide angle the smaller CCD sensor only "sees" the center of the image circle where the image is sparp

Same goes for the 70-210E some slight softness in the corers will not effect a digital camera. But you can't use the d60/d70 light meter with an MF lens.

Lack of a meter is not such a big deal. My medium format equipment did not have a meter in the camera and I could properly expose transparentcies every time. With a digal body you can simply take a test exposure

The 70-210 would be a usable lens with a D50 if you wentto the zoo to soot animals. The constant f-stop is an mportent feaure if shooting in manual mode.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Where and what would be the best way to sell this? ebay or somewhere else? through everything into one package, or sell body seperatly and each lens seperatly?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
buffalo said:
Where and what would be the best way to sell this? ebay or somewhere else? through everything into one package, or sell body seperatly and each lens seperatly?

Generally body and lens sales work out best.

But the kit you mentioned is not a bad one to keep a hold on IMO.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Chip NoVaMac said:
Generally body and lens sales work out best.

But the kit you mentioned is not a bad one to keep a hold on IMO.

I was thinking about keeping the 50mm F1:1.2 lens, so that if I ever get a D50 I could use it with that, but I don't really have a need for the body.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
buffalo said:
I was thinking about keeping the 50mm F1:1.2 lens, so that if I ever get a D50 I could use it with that, but I don't really have a need for the body.

Two schools of thought on this:

1) Film cameras are losing value fast. Sell now while it still has _some_ value

2) In a few years _everyone_ will have switched to digital and fine art quality silver gelatin prints will always look good and you need a film camera to make them
Also, it's kind of a fun hobby to shoot balck and white film with an "antque" mechanical camera. I've got a 50+ year old Exacta which was the first 35mm SLR The camera that Nikon copied when they made the F1. It sill works and the Carl Zeiss glass is still as good as it ever was. Think ahead 25 years. A working F3 would be fun to have.

My take on the above is that film is usfull but not 35mm film. If I'm going to shoot film I'll go with 4x5 sheets in a view camera.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ChrisA said:
Two schools of thought on this:

1) Film cameras are losing value fast. Sell now while it still has _some_ value

2) In a few years _everyone_ will have switched to digital and fine art quality silver gelatin prints will always look good and you need a film camera to make them
Also, it's kind of a fun hobby to shoot balck and white film with an "antque" mechanical camera. I've got a 50+ year old Exacta which was the first 35mm SLR The camera that Nikon copied when they made the F1. It sill works and the Carl Zeiss glass is still as good as it ever was. Think ahead 25 years. A working F3 would be fun to have.

My take on the above is that film is usfull but not 35mm film. If I'm going to shoot film I'll go with 4x5 sheets in a view camera.

Good points.

There is also the family connection to the gear. That will count plenty as time goes on. I still have my uncles old Leica gear that needs much work, but sits there for it was his photographic desire that drove my passion through the years.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
buffalo said:

I say keep the body. See the above.

As to the lens it might not mount on a D50, or even a D200 depending on the vintage of the lens. You might find some willing to convert it though.

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
The 50/1.2 is what's called an AIS lens - it has to do with the connector between the lens and body, and what kind of functions it can give you. AIS lenses will meter with some modern, autofocus Nikon bodies, but not others. I can't remember specifics, but I'm pretty sure the D50 is a no.

Film camera prices on the used market have actually hit a plateau (and even begun to rebound in some cases) - and for a beloved model like the F3 (the final Nikon pro body without autofocus, built like a tank and last forever), sales will be strong for a long time.

Your best option is probably to sell the kit apart, and if you buy a D50 DO NOT BUY THE PACKAGED ZOOM. I cannot emphasize this enough. The consumer zooms they sell with low-end consumer cameras are crap. Spend the same amount of money on two of Nikon's cheap consumer prime lenses - the 50/1.8 makes a nice short telephoto with the digital crop factor (for $80-90), and I'm sure they have a 28 or 35mm prime that works as a 'normal' lens for a couple of hundred bucks.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Chip NoVaMac said:
There is also the family connection to the gear.

I really can't say that I have a family connection to this, expecially because he is totally fine with me selling it.

So... what and where is the best way to go about selling it?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I would take the camera and whichever lens(es) you want to sell and pay a visit to a couple of local camera dealers to get their assessment. Even if they don't take cameras in on trade/consignment or for flat-out resale they might at least be willing to give you an idea of the value and to tell you where you might be able to sell them. I would be hesitant about putting them up on eBay. Some photography forums have equipment for sale features but in some instances they're like here, you'd have to be a registered member and have x number of postings first.

Good luck!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ChrisA said:
I would resommend http://www.nikoncafe.com If your interrests are in photogrphy and Nikon equipment go there, register and join in.

Chris: It's a good site, isn't it? Saw you on there a day or so ago! Welcome! I joined back last May but then over the summer and early fall wasn't able to participate but now I'm back in action there. It's a wonderful resource for learning and appreciating just about anything with regard to Nikon gear. Only problem I have is with that Lens Lust forum --- EEK! Wanna buy every lens they talk about there! LOL!

As far as selling, I think you have to have at least 25 posts, maybe it's more, in order to view and then use the "For Sale" forum in order to sell your wares. People there look out for each other....

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
buffalo said:
Just joined as "thenerd" (nickname from my brother). Thanks for the recommendation.

I guess I should've been more specific in my posting when I referred to online photography groups. Glad Chris picked up the ball and ran with it, giving you some more info!

I'll look for you over there and say "hi!"

There are quite a few Mac users there, which is really nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.