Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobbieS

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
quick question. I was going to purchase the nikon 50mm prime lens. I own a nikon D40. I know that the AF won't work with the camera so I would have to manual focus. But now I see that sigma has announced that they are coming out with a lens that will auto focus on my camera. Is it beneficial for me to wait for its release instead?

Also has anyone heard any release info/price?
their website says to be determined.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
quick question. I was going to purchase the nikon 50mm prime lens. I own a nikon D40. I know that the AF won't work with the camera so I would have to manual focus. But now I see that sigma has announced that they are coming out with a lens that will auto focus on my camera. Is it beneficial for me to wait for its release instead?

Also has anyone heard any release info/price?
their website says to be determined.

Nikon, I'm sure one day will release a 50mm AFS lens. Sounds like Sigma might someday have one too. You can wait forever. If you need it now buy the Nikon.

One other option is to buy a used manual focus lens. If you are goig to have to manually focus the tur MF lenses are much, much better. The focus ring on an MF llens has a nice precise feel to it. The AF lens seems kind of cheap and sloppy in comparison. Get the MF at half the price. You can always re-sell it later for exactly what you paid for it. Yes the MF will not meter but that's what the histogram display on the LCD screen is for.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hello Robbie,

So far, though sigma has announced it, they have not released any price info or the availability date. However, I would be surprised if it was much different from their 30mm 1.4 hsm lens that also autofocuses with the D40 ($364 @ sigma4less). As far as availability, I would be surprised if it was more than 3 months.

Given that, who knows when nikon will get around to releasing a 50mm AF-S lens.. people have been clamoring one for years and there hasn't been a hint.

Like you said, there is always the AF 50mm 1.8 nikkor. Yes, you will have to MF it on the your D40, but to clarify what Chris said, the E-series of this lens will not meter, but the AF-D 50mm 1.8 will meter. You can find this lens for around $100. But, he is right in that you could probably sell the lens used for about as much you paid for it later on.

It's a fun lens. My wife got me a copy for xmas last year. I've been getting used to MF-ing, but sometimes I wish I did have autofocus. But then I ask myself, is it really worth ~$250 just to be able to autofocus.

To each their own. If it's worth it to you, then I'd just wait for the sigma. It can't be that long till it comes out.

Good luck, and have fun.

DCBass

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Get the Sigma. It'll likely cost as much as the Nikon f/1.4, maybe more, but it'll also be sharper wide open. You can thank the aspherical lens elements inside for that one. The bokeh will likely be better as well. Personally, I'd want the AF, or at least the option to do so. If I was interested in this lens, I'd pre-order this Sigma without even reading a review. I just don't think this lens will be anything less than stellar.

With that thought, I want to say that I sold my Nikon 50 mm f/1.8 because I found the focal length to be useless. I'm sure it was great on film cameras, or maybe even the D3, but not on my old D50, or my D300.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Instead of paying for the Sigma 50, I'd rather get the Sigma 30.

Given that the Nikon 50 f/1.8 is so cheap, I don't think it's worth to lose metering by getting a 50 AI lens.
If I were to forgo metering, I'd rather buy a used 35 f/2 AI (I got one for the equivalent of $99 some time ago).

If you are going to MF, you really need a focusing screen, as hunting for the green dot is terrible without any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.