Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I have decided to switch from an Olympus system to one of the two mainstream systems.
I absolutely love Oly glass (this is why I have been holding on to 4/3), but the full frame bodies like the D700 and the 5D II are simply too tempting.

My initial plan, due to budget considerations, is to get a crop-sensor body (40D, D200, or D300 - I am *not* considering the 50D, D90, or D80), and then upgrade to a D700, its higher res successor, or a 5D II later.

Now I need to decide which lenses I will be getting, and that is where the choice between systems gets tricky.

Initially, I want to get a nice "walkaround" zoom. The lens should be full-frame capable (not DX or EF-S), sharp, and reasonably fast.
Also, the lens has to be immediately useful on a cropped sensor body. I.e. a 28-70 mm lens will probably *not* fit the bill.

I doubt that coming off the ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5 I could be tempted with an f3.5-5.6 consumer zoom. You never know, of course - I know next to nothing about Canon and Nikon glass, and maybe some of these are excellent!

Canon lens choice is more or less clear: if I will be going with a Canon system, the first two lenses I will be getting are the 50 mm f1.4 and the 17-40 f4 L ($300-ish and $650-ish, respectively).

With Nikon it is much harder to decide. Did they ever make any affordable, full-frame capable lens that will be comparable to Canon's 17-40 L? Are there any non-zoom Nikon lens combinations I should be considering? Are there any Nikon lenses I should be avoiding like plague?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Nikon has historically been a little slower with the zoom glass.

The 18-200 is a pretty solid all-around lens. Not the absolute sharpest (plus some lens creep) but it's difficult for any manufacturer to get a sharp subject with such a large focal range.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Nikon has historically been a little slower with the zoom glass.

The 18-200 is a pretty solid all-around lens. Not the absolute sharpest (plus some lens creep) but it's difficult for any manufacturer to get a sharp subject with such a large focal range.

Heh - I am not looking for a consumer "superzoom"... I am looking for a real lens.
To be more exact, I am looking for affordable Nikon alternatives to Canon's 17-40 f4 L and 24-70 f2.8 L...
Nikon's 24-70 is some $400 more expensive, and the 17-35 is only available in f2.8 incarnation. It is also well outside my current budget...

What about Nikon's older 24-85 f2.8-4.0? They can be picked up on Ebay for $600-ish. Does anyone have any sample pictures from this thing?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have decided to switch from an Olympus system to one of the two mainstream systems.
I absolutely love Oly glass (this is why I have been holding on to 4/3), but the full frame bodies like the D700 and the 5D II are simply too tempting.

My initial plan, due to budget considerations, is to get a crop-sensor body (40D, D200, or D300 - I am *not* considering the 50D, D90, or D80)

I don't see the point. You switch to Nikon because Oly has not FF body and then you buy a Nikon DX body. What's gained?

I'd say stay with what you have until you can afford the FF Nikon.

I doubt you will find a wide range zoom lens that will do wide angle on a crop-sensor and also cover the full frame. Most people who have been with Nikon for years started out with full frame when that was all that existed. Then when they bought a DSLR had to buy a DX lens to cover the wide end of the range. I think that's just the way it is, if you want t a DX size Nikon you will have to buy one DX wide lens.

That's why I'm thinking you're best off jumping straight to full frame if that is what you want. If you can afford it now, wait.

What about Nikon's older 24-85 f2.8-4.0? They can be picked up on Ebay for $600-ish. Does anyone have any sample pictures from this thing?

24 is not wide enough on a DX sensor. If you bought that lens you'd want to pick up a second lens that goes to at least 18mm

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
valiar said:

24 is not wide enough on a DX sensor. If you bought that lens you'd want to pick up a second lens that goes to at least 18mm

right... a second lens, BUT, the OP question was for a "walk around". Right now I just picked up a 35mm f2 for this purpose but would like a walk around zoom as my next purchase. I'm not going to get a superwide angle 12-80mm f2.8 for <$1000 or can I?

I think the answer is the same as I was looking for a week or so ago, a compliment to the 80-200mm f2.8. Is there something with the same long standing excellent reputation AND similar price range as this lens in the ~18-80 range? what would be better 24-80 or 18-55? eventually will need to look at 12-24 either way. I settled on a 35mm prime, should I just look at three more primes 12, 18, 28 instead of a zoom? wouldn't be my first choice.

valiar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
I don't see the point. You switch to Nikon because Oly has not FF body and then you buy a Nikon DX body. What's gained?

Easy. First of all, a DX body, which I will keep even after getting a FF one. As a backup, and for those telephoto shots.
Second, I am gaining an upgrade path to a FF body.
Finally, I am getting to sell my Oly stuff for more $$$ (it gets less clicks on it, and, who knows, Oly might come up with an E5 in the next 1.5 years).

I doubt you will find a wide range zoom lens that will do wide angle on a crop-sensor and also cover the full frame...

Canon has the 17-40mm f4 L.
It is useful on both FF and crop Canons. It is also just $650...
I was just wondering if Nikon has/had anything similar.
If not, then I will probably end up going Canon route by picking up a 40D, a 17-40L, and a 50 1.4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.