Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Looks like great stuff from Nikon.

The D300 has a 922,000-pixel 3-inch live view LCD! This is quite amazing. Also new is a sensor cleaning system (high-frequency vibration), a 100% viewfinder, 12 megapixels, 14-bit A/D converter, 51-point AF system, and lots of other goodies. Much more impressive to me than the Canon 40D.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082313nikond300.asp

The D3 is Full-Frame (finally) but only 12 megapixels -- but very high sensitivity up to ISO 25,600!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp

Though I have a D200, I am sooo inclined to jump to the D300.

Attachments

• d300front.jpg
    d300front.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 183
  • d3front.jpg
    d3front.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 122

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Looks like great stuff from Nikon.

The D300 has a 922,000-pixel 3-inch live view LCD! This is quite amazing. Also new is a sensor cleaning system (high-frequency vibration), a 100% viewfinder, 12 megapixels, 14-bit A/D converter, 51-point AF system, and lots of other goodies. Much more impressive to me than the Canon 40D.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082313nikond300.asp

The D3 is Full-Frame (finally) but only 12 megapixels -- but very high sensitivity up to ISO 25,600!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07082312nikond3.asp

Though I have a D200, I am sooo inclined to jump to the D300.

Get it man... this is why I wanted to stay with Nikon. Real features man... real features. Well worth the splinters from fence sitting. :D

I hope they make the grip on this D300 better than the D200 one.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Get it man... this is why I wanted to stay with Nikon. Real features man... real features. Well worth the splinters from fence sitting. :D
Ok, decision made. ;)

Though the D3 is low on megapixels, I'm really glad to see a FF digital camera from Nikon. It will finally put to rest the infuriating arguments over DX vs FF.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
wow. I have to give it Nikon, these are very impressive cameras -- especially given the 1D, 1Ds MkIII, and 40D that Canon released.

If I didn't have so much Canon glass, I'd think long and hard about what brand to get. The new lenses add a LOT of value to the Pro Nikon line.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
51 point AF.. HDMI Input.. holy crap!

How about Full Frame at 9fps and a higher resolution than the Mark III, but the proof is in the pudding... I want to see sample images at ISO 25,600 and I want to see how fast that AF is. Then again.. manual focus is probably faster than the Mark III (just kidding... cheap shot)

I read that the Live View actually allows you to focus the camera while in use, and that the shutter lag and blackout times are measured in tenths of a millisecond.

I do see some issues with handling though:
d3rear-001.jpg

That AF selector button still looks to be out of reach... and I have big hands. But I guess it will be just like using the D2 cameras. And I hope that the accessories (WiFi and GPS) get updated too. That new lens lineup will make me wet my pants, the glass is just now catching up to Canon, although Nikon's wide angles have been a favorite of mine.

p.s. Not to mention that this beast is about the same price as the Mark III. I am glad that Nikon is finally offering products that are blow for blow competition for Canon and other companies.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
MB-D10 battery pack / grip

The new MB-D10 battery pack increases the maximum frames per second from 6fps to 8fps. But more impressive is if it's built around a magnesium shell like the D300. The picture below would seem to indicate that it is. By comparison, the current MB-D200 grip does not feel nearly as well-made as the D200.

Attachments

• inwhite.jpg
    inwhite.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 119

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The new MB-D10 battery pack increases the maximum frames per second from 6fps to 8fps. But more impressive is if it's built around a magnesium shell like the D300. The picture below would seem to indicate that it is... By comparison, the current MB-D200 grip does not feel nearly as well-made as the D200.

Thank you.... you have brought tears to mine eyes my friend. I love you. Better grips for all!

dpreview said:
Nikon pioneered wireless image transmission. Now, with the new Nikon Wireless Transmitter WT-43, the era of the multi camera network has arrived. Not only can one transmit (‘push’) images to servers and remotely control the camera from afar, the WT-4 also enables remote browsing of the camera’s image thumbnails as well.

In a wireless environment, networks of up to 5 D3 and D300 cameras can be established. At a sports event, for example, photo editors could browse all thumbnails on each camera simultaneously, selecting (‘pulling’) the images they need, while the photographers continue shooting.

This is the innovation that Nikon can do. This is useful, tactfully done, and will be used by many a sports shooter. I don't shoot sports, but I know a few friends of mine will love to get their hands on this kind of tech. This camera is going to re-work they way PJs shoot.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
WHERE THE HELL IS MY VR! :mad:

It's not like I really need it but it's nice to have. Especially since the 70-200 has VR. Oh well. We can't have it all, I am sure Thom Hogan will be asking the same question once he gets his slimy hands all over them.
afs1424-2470-001.jpg

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I was wondering when or if Nikon would ever release a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. The current 28-70mm f/2.8 is a legend (just ask Clix Pix), but I simply could not justify its purchase because of the missing 4mm. Imagine my surprise at the announcement of this lens!!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Just what I have always wanted... among other things in my new pro body.

Now that we have these beautiful bodies... I can't wait to see how Nikon updates the consumer stuff... if it's in typical Nikon fashion... I think we will the D80's replacement with the D300's sensor and 3 inch LCD screen. I am sure Canon will put the guts of the 40D in the Rebel XTi's replacement, but will they leave the features set, or handicap it like they have done with original Rebel and XT.

But once again I am torn. I find myself not needing the full features of the D3, so do I get two D300s and grips?

Naw! Nevermind... where's my credit card.

Attachments

• 2255_nikon_d3_thumb_03.JPG.jpg
    2255_nikon_d3_thumb_03.JPG.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,407

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Just what I have always wanted... among other things in my new pro body.
On the subject of the D3, here's an interesting new feature. I hope it is what I think it is!

Edit: According to the Rob Galbraith website it is what I though it is:

A Virtual Horizon Adjustment feature that is both cool and useful and will almost certainly replace a hot shoe bubble level for Nikon photographers that need to shoot pictures with straight horizons. We don't know what the level of precision of the internal detection sensors are, but in testing it's clearly as or more sensitive to left-right camera movement than a typical bubble level (which you'll still need to orient the camera front-to-back). Virtual Horizon Adjustment works when the camera is horizontal, vertical and even flipped upside down, but not when the lens is pointed at the sky or ground. When enabled, leveling can be done when looking through the viewfinder, on the top display or via a fun graphic on the rear LCD.

Attachments

• lcd_virtualhorizon.gif
    lcd_virtualhorizon.gif
    7 KB · Views: 1,415

iViking

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
I'm sold for sure on the D300 but might go for the D3 if I can swing it.

I loved the d200 more than any other camera.

These two new offerings look like real beauties.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
Christmas 2007 - Nikon d300

Anyone remember how hard it was to get the d200 in time for christmas?

Here we go again with the d300 and the d3!

Start writing those letters to Santa...

ksz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
USA

My thoughts exactly. Let the waiting game begin anew.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

My thoughts exactly. Let the waiting game begin anew.

The same thing has happened for ever single Nikon camera sans the D2h. I was appalled to see my job with 14 new D2xs when they came out and had an answer as to why it took so long for many people to get their hands on the body. I am assuming that Nikon and other venders will ship to the news agencies ordering in bulk, as opposed to the single and dual body customers. The faster they get the D3 and D300 in the hands of the pros the faster the Canon switchers can eat crow.

You gotta love that fence man!

p.s. Where are you finding those images ksz? All I can find are the body shots and some of the top LCD. Nothing inside the menus.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Just when I thought that I'd upgrade from the D70s to the D200 before xmas, this release comes along :D
Definitely going for a D300 in late Dec/early Jan. Can't wait! All of those new features make it a dead cert purchase... along with the battery grip. 8fps! Who'd thought it?

Although I'm hoping the UK price (as on dpreview) doesn't hold £1299 vs. $1799? I don't think so. If that does hold I'll be able to have a weekend in NYC at the difference in price between the two!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
DPreview has a preview of both the D300 and D3. Page 4 in each Preview has a gallery of images:

D300 gallery.

D3 gallery.

Thanks... I was looking for that on their site but couldn't find anything. These linkies help a lot.

Just when I thought that I'd upgrade from the D70s to the D200 before xmas, this release comes along :D
Definitely going for a D300 in late Dec/early Jan. Can't wait! All of those new features make it a dead cert purchase... along with the battery grip. 8fps! Who'd thought it?

Although I'm hoping the UK price (as on dpreview) doesn't hold £1299 vs. $1799? I don't think so. If that does hold I'll be able to have a weekend in NYC at the difference in price between the two!

The price you pay for being patient. The good part for most shooters is that the price is the same as the intro for the D200, which was a bargain then, and now it's even more so.

I read some more details about the D300. I figure I am going to buy the D300 myself and get my job (just like the other 20 photogs) to fork over a D3 and 24-70 for me. I might sell my D2hs to get the cash for some more FX and DX lenses.

By the way, as I was reading the specs of the D300, I came across something that sounded all too familiar with that MB-D10; something I said way back in April of this year albeit about the D3:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID71/17228.html#4

When you get to the page scroll to the top.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
This news makes me SO excited. I'm glad that the D3 switches into DX mode when using DX lenses - doesn't automatically rule those lenses out (17-55 2.8, I'm looking at you).

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This news makes me SO excited. I'm glad that the D3 switches into DX mode when using DX lenses - doesn't automatically rule those lenses out (17-55 2.8, I'm looking at you).

The fact that it's automatic is wonderful, no mistaking a lens and ending up with a seriously vignetted image or a severely injured reflex mirror. I was trying to pry a 17-55 out of my paper but every dealer that I know of has been out of stock, and I don't know where they get theirs from but they had also been out of stock. Now I will just grab a 24-70 to match my 70-200 and when I need that wide angle on the DX D300/D200 I will use the 14-24. Those lenses are looking like a good addition to the once suffering lineup, and they fit both FX and DX formats.

The only thing I am worrying about is the typical first batch of bugs that all new electronics have once they are in mass production, and Nikon's ability to meet the market's extremely high demand for new Nikon Products. I don't think there will be an Canon --> Nikon switchers, but there are plenty of Pro fence sitters, Nikonian fanatics, and newspapers/bulk Nikon buyers that have been waiting almost four years to replace their aging D2hs's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.