Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Edit: Well, really, no option to turn off 32-bit and run as 64-bit.

When it was first released, I downloaded and installed it. Because I have Nik plug-ins, I checked the 32-bit option. After playing a bit I removed it from the system.

A week ago I purchased the upgrade from the Apple store. It is installed and patched to 3.01. But there is no 32-bit checkbox in either ShowInfo or GetInfo.

Did Apple make a change or is there a corrupted plist somewhere? Maybe if there are 32-bit plug-ins one does not get a choice. I don't know and several Google searches has not revealed anything.

Thanks,

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I've no idea why this happens but I can't see the 32-bit option either. A quick check with lipo tells me that the executable itself has 32-bit code. And there's no odd looking keys in the Info.plist to prevent this...

TonyK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Thanks for the info.

At least I'm not the only one. Searching Google is not being very helpful. This is just strange.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
hmm, that's odd. I just checked my A3 and there is an option to open in 32bit mode. I haven't update to the latest slideshow fix thing. So, in your case, do the problem start before/after the slideshow fix update thing?

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Kinda sorta off topic but on.... I was trying to figure out which version of iTunes I had, 32 or 64 bit (for Windows), for the life of me I could not tell what was installed, there is either a serious lack of information from Apple or they buried so far down it is near impossible to find it.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Brief History and final resolution

Downloaded and used trial version @ v3.0.
Removed trial version and reverted to v2.1.4 (?)
March 14, 2010, purchased boxed version of v3.0
Updated to v3.01
On install, 32-bit only checkbox was not present in GetInfo or ShowInfo
Downloaded trial version (again)
Renamed existing v3.01 version to something different
Installed trial version and ran 1 time
Verified 32-bit only checkbox was present
Removed trial version and reverted to installed/patched version 3.01
Re-checked and 32-bit only checkbox is still persent

Now maybe the trial version installed something or fixed a plist item. All I know is it is there and previously, from a retail box update, it was not.

Take care,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.