Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Bozeman, Montana
I'm pretty bummed that there was no Aperture 3 (or X) update announced today. Although I see the point of the iPad (hate the name), I was really hopeful there would be a few other announcements today, especially that Aperture has a future. Am I dreaming the impossible dream and might as well be prepared at some point to switch to Lightroom?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm pretty bummed that there was no Aperture 3 (or X) update announced today. Although I see the point of the iPad (hate the name), I was really hopeful there would be a few other announcements today, especially that Aperture has a future. Am I dreaming the impossible dream and might as well be prepared at some point to switch to Lightroom?

Given the way Apple seems to operate, I thought it was pretty unlikely anything other than the tablet would be discussed today. Apple doesn't usually like to risk anything potentially overshadowing whatever they want people to focus on any given day.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i believe there is another event scheduled in February sometime. I thought i heard the first part of Feb.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, yeah. Kinda expected it since no rumors about Aperture 3 at all :(

But I do wonder, it says the iPad (why don't they pick iSlate or the obvious, iTablet :rolleyes:) has external display support, anyone know what it actually means? I would be thrilled if I can connect my MBP to the iPad and make the iPad as a 2nd display.

I will happily place my Aperture HUD on the Pad and use my Aperture full screen on my MBP :D

Also since photo adjustments is usually done with sliders, I only need to hold the table and move the sliders around. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I bet if Apple say you can hook up your MBPs to the Pad to make the Pad into a 2nd monitor, a lot of graphic artist will consider it cause imagine how easy it is to do photo editing or illustration (well adobe interface will be a problem for people to get what they want, every button is sooo small)

Also I even had the thought that if what I just said above is possible, Aperture 3/X will ship with a feature that will automatically enlarge the HUD sliders if the HUD is placed to the iPad.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
But I do wonder, it says the iPad (why don't they pick iSlate or the obvious, iTablet :rolleyes:) has external display support, anyone know what it actually means? I would be thrilled if I can connect my MBP to the iPad and make the iPad as a 2nd display.

Since they unveiled a special version of Keynote for the iPad, presumably the external display support is there so that you can connect to a projector or large display for giving presentations.

Ralphptf

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Books?

I read that Amazon.ca was advertising Aperture 3 books (at least one).
I checked and found this one.
Apple Aperture 3: A Workflow Guide for Digital Photographers (Paperback)by McMahon (Author)
No customer reviews yet. Be the first.List Price: CDN$ 45.95Price:CDN$ 28.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over CDN$ 39. Details You Save: CDN$ 17.00 (37%)Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.
This title has not yet been released.You may pre-order it now and we will deliver it to you when it arrives.Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. Gift-wrap available.
:)

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Much of the Aperture management team was sacked and replaced by workers from the iLife team. Expect more geotagging, social-media-site integration (facebook, etc.), face recognition, and some new features, but it will likely disappoint those looking for localized editing. Release is supposedly April/May from what I hear.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Much of the Aperture management team was sacked and replaced by workers from the iLife team. Expect more geotagging, social-media-site integration (facebook, etc.), face recognition, and some new features, but it will likely disappoint those looking for localized editing. Release is supposedly April/May from what I hear.

I don't think that this makes sense... While I think Aperture should things like geotagging or face recognition from iPhoto, I don't really see it getting social media-site integration. What would be the difference to iPhoto in the long run, then?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
@Grimace
If that's true, it would really be a disappointment. While I would like to have `faces' and a more integrated way of doing geotagging, localized edits are the big missing feature in my opinion.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I don't think that this makes sense... While I think Aperture should things like geotagging or face recognition from iPhoto, I don't really see it getting social media-site integration. What would be the difference to iPhoto in the long run, then?

These "features" aren't meant to differentiate the two products. The differences are in work flow and in complexity of editing.

Localized editing is a tricky beast - and there will be basic local editing - just not Photoshop functionality, which some people keep dreaming about. The main goal of the design team is to make the changes non-destructive on the RAW file (or metadata overlay) and not to force the TIFF copy for dodge & burn etc. Whether that is done in this release or the next, I don't have that level of intel.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It's definitely not EOL. Apple has invested a lot into the product and plans to develop it further (possibly with small acquisitions - but not the biggies like adobe, etc.).

They scrapped a lot of things that weren't going in the right direction and are just a bit behind schedule. Technically the division is under the supervision of the iLife team now, although that is just a company org chart distinction.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
It's definitely not EOL. Apple has invested a lot into the product and plans to develop it further (possibly with small acquisitions - but not the biggies like adobe, etc.).

They scrapped a lot of things that weren't going in the right direction and are just a bit behind schedule. Technically the division is under the supervision of the iLife team now, although that is just a company org chart distinction.

I have a gut feeling that iPhoto and Aperture will be merged into a new product - maybe named Aperture X - and that it will become a part of iLife X.

Somehow I doubt that Apple still has a real long term strategy for the Pro applications.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
For the pro apps (which require far more complex interfaces and larger files) - there is certainly a market. Final Cut, Aperture, Logic, etc. aren't going to be a mega-money maker for Apple, but each drives sales of high end gear, which does make money for Apple. Get a great software product for relatively little on a hardware system that is expensive but a long-lasting investment -- have them work well together and you build brand loyalty.

That was the company goal back when I knew things from the inside.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Aperture 3 Announced!

http://www.apple.com/aperture/what-is.html said:
Nondestructive brushes let you make selective adjustments to specific parts of your image without creating masks or layers.
Halfway to what it needed to be...

'cmon, Apple, apply a little pressure to the folks at Adobe, for once!

Still, I haven't given it a test drive, I'll withhold judgment until then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.