Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeiss

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Australia
ok, so macworld was all well and good if you like toys ;), but what about some serious stuff - where are the new displays that use decent panels - instead of the less than 8bit rubbish in the current ones [some on-board calibration tools would be nice to see too (I remember when an Apple display was a serious display for professionals, not this domestic rubbish they make now [if you want to see a real display check the specs on Eizo ColorEdge displays])]

And where is Aperture 2.0, with all the serious bugs ironed out, so that it really can be a vast improvement on Lightroom [and faster would be nice]...

Anyone heard anything .....

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
And where is Aperture 2.0, with all the serious bugs ironed out, so that it really can be a vast improvement on Lightroom [and faster would be nice]...

I have heard some rumblings about PMA at the end of this month. It makes more sense to introduce it here (where everyone will be interested) than at MacWorld where most people wouldn't care.

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
PMA would be a better place to announce an Aperture update, although I was slightly disappointed myself by not hearing anything at MacWorld.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I will be VERY disappointed if nothing comes out before or during PMA! I am not happy with the workarounds I'm having to do right now and I wantwantwantdemanddemanddemanddemand Aperture to allow me to PP my NEFs from my D3 and D300! Sooner rather than later!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That's nothing to do with Aperture: it simply uses the OS level RAW support. If you are lucky 10.5.2 will have this.

Right...which is why I mentioned "before PMA" too. I know it's something within the entire OS, not just Aperture or iPhoto which is affected, but hopefully Apple has been working on an update for Aperture which they plan to announce at PMA and hopefully before then or at that same time they will release an OS update which will include what we need for conversion of our NEF RAW files.....

PP? What's that?

Sorry -- "PP" means "Post-Processing!" :)

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Right...which is why I mentioned "before PMA" too. I know it's something within the entire OS, not just Aperture or iPhoto which is affected, but hopefully Apple has been working on an update for Aperture which they plan to announce at PMA and hopefully before then or at that same time they will release an OS update which will include what we need for conversion of our NEF RAW files.....

Apple has a booth at PMA - I'd like to think that they wouldn't do that simply to show Aperture 1.5, even running on new Mac Pros. I'm really hoping for Aperture 2.0, although I won't be shocked if it doesn't materialize.

However, if 10.5.2 with support for D300 NEFs doesn't come out soon, I'm going to seriously consider Lightroom.

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
This thread sums up all my thoughts too.

Pretty bummed nothing was said about Aperture 2.0 or support for D3/D300.

One thing I have been using a lot with the new 14-24 is the CA and fringing removal tool in ACR. The "All Edges" or "Highlight Edges" option and implementation of the fringing tool is 100% better than what Aperture uses. I would really miss that feature in Aperture if I were still able to use it now. Even Capture NX isn't able to clean up the CA and fringing 100% like I can in ACR.

Everybody needs to send in Aperture feedback lobbying for CA and an improved purple fringing correction tool right now!

I have been tempted to switch to LR as well. I just hate to work in the module system.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
That's why I went with Lightroom.....didn't want to wait for Apple to get around to updating. Look at the mac mini or the airport express. Apple does updates when it pleases and not one minute sooner.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
ok, so macworld was all well and good if you like toys ;), but what about some serious stuff

Well, by and large, MacWorld is for toys.

MacWorld is totally the wrong place to announce updates to Aperture. There are other better avenues for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.