Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pizzabox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
I am trying to run Apple Hardware Test. When I try to boot into it I get sent to internet recovery, then after a while I get an error on a black screen:

Error message: Cannot Load "EFI/DRIVERS/TESTSUPPORT.EFI

This thread on the Apple forum suggests it's broken now for older systems. I did update my SMC firmware from Apple's page (the EFI boot ROM file would not work), still no dice.

Is there some other way to get into AHT? Surely it's not completely broken as the other thread claims? Totally high and dry? It's a 15" mid-2012 MBP running Sierra. I wonder if I have a graphics problem and I'm trying to check it out.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I am trying to run Apple Hardware Test. When I try to boot into it I get sent to internet recovery, then after a while I get an error on a black screen:

This thread on the Apple forum suggests it's broken now for older systems. I did update my SMC firmware from Apple's page (the EFI boot ROM file would not work), still no dice.

Is there some other way to get into AHT? Surely it's not completely broken as the other thread claims? Totally high and dry? It's a 15" mid-2012 MBP running Sierra. I wonder if I have a graphics problem and I'm trying to check it out.

I also had this issue on a Late 2012 13" Retina. Though I had no OS installed on my boot drive. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Incidentally, I have the AHT and ASDs for these Macs, so it's never been a major concern. Just disconcerting that the built-in method encouraged by Apple has a potential expiration date.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020

I have the same exact problem on my MacBook Pro 9,1.

According to the article below, apple just took it away from our machines with a firmware update. Very disappointing, but not surprising, knowing apple’s ways….. I’m hoping that through digging around the forums, i will stumble upon a wizard who has figured out how to restore it.

macOS-1014-Disables-AHT-Apple-Diagnostics-on-Select-Macs

There are some methods described on YouTube to outsource the AHT to USB or bring it back all together, but it doesn’t seem to work for our model. 😢

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.