Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

repete7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
I bought a NEW iMac 27" 2017 on a deal from B&H last week. I also bought AppleCare+ through B&H. Shipping notification said I would receive my AppleCare+ directly from Apple. I didn't get a serial number from B&H for my AppleCare+ I decided to check my coverage at checkcoverage.apple.com. I put in my serial number for my iMac and it asked me to validate my product's purchase date. I entered the date and it gave me an error message. So I contacted apple support. The support person kept insisting that I had bought the computer in December 2018. I was past my sixty days, I couldn't get AppleCare+, my computer only had coverage until Dec 2019, and that B&H was not an authorized reseller. I checked on apple's website while I was on the phone with her that B&H is an authorized reseller, but she told me I was wrong. She wouldn't listen to me when I tried to tell her I bought it in May 2019. And yes, I'm sure I gave them the correct serial number. I contacted B&H and they are trying to fix it.

Question, anybody else have problems getting Apple to validate their AppleCare+ bought through an authorized reseller?

EDIT: I contacted B&H and they resolved it. I'm not sure if they had to re-submit the proof of purchase or if it just took longer for that to work through Apple's systems than I expected.

Last edited:

codernova

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Expercom handled mine entirely automatically. I didn't get a serial number or have to do any work on my side, but I can check my iMac's serial number on Apple's site and see it's been applied.

I'd probably start with B&H such as you've done, probably just a matter of waiting.

Reactions: repete7

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
This can happen with NOS machines where Apple's system reflects a sale date that's not accurate (likely when it was originally sold to B&H), and can lead to situations where coverage and eligibility incorrectly expire prematurely.

Some retailers about better about this than others. I'd expect the same from an Amazon purchase, where it's not going to track the serial numbers and sale dates of the machines it sells and provide than information to Apple.

You need to contact Apple, be prepared to submit a sales receipt as proof of purchase, and it will correct the actual sale date.

Last edited:

repete7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
This can happen with NOS machines where Apple's system reflects a sale date that's not accurate (likely when it was originally sold to B&H), and can lead to situations where coverage and eligibility incorrectly expire prematurely.

Some retailers about better about this than others. I'd expect the same from an Amazon purchase, where it's not going to track the serial numbers and sale dates of the machines it sells and provide than information to Apple.

You need to contact Apple, be prepared to submit a sales receipt as proof of purchase, and it will correct the actual sale date.

What is NOS machine?

Is submitting my own paperwork to Apple even an option? The rep insisted that since my serial number showed a sale date of December 2018, that's when it was sold and I was wrong when I told her I bought in May 2019.

repete7

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
It was new, not a return (box was sealed and B&H confirmed they don't sell returns as new). The Apple Support Rep insisted that I was the one who had bought it in December (you think I would have remembered that?) so no help from Apple on that.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
NOS = new old stock.

There is a group at Apple which handle these kinds of situations. Normal support and AC reps cannot. You just need to reach the right people.

Follow the link I provided, contact Apple, and be prepared to submit proof. In the old days, that involved faxing a receipt to the Agreement Administration department at Elk Grove.

Reactions: repete7

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I had this exact issue three times recently.

1) The most recent was with my iMac Pro that I bought used. Because of the USB audio interface/T2 issue, no way was I paying that kind of coin without AppleCare—even though that issue was resolved with the OS 10.14.4 update. The seller emailed the ser# and I checked—Apple's site said it was purchased 10/2018 and was eligible so I bought.

After it arrived, I tried to buy AppleCare and the web site said I couldn't because it was ineligible. WTF?!?!? Well, this AppleCare+ nonsense kicked in 2019 and the rules have changed apparently. It took about an hour on the phone to clear up that, because the original purchase date was before the new rules, my iMP was eligible and I was finally able to purchase coverage over the phone.

2) One was with an iPod Touch 6 that showed an incorrect sale date. I finally gave up, the time passed without incident and I counted my savings. Probably the NOS deal mentioned earlier.

3) Trying to straighten out my new iMac Pro gen2 from the Apple Refurb Store. Apple says I didn't purchase AppleCare+ and the 30 day window has expired. My receipt says I did at the time of purchase. I expect this to get straightened out as soon as I stop talking to idiots. Apple, like every other large company, seems to have no shortage of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.