Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
USA
Just spoke with two AT&T Company Stores in the suburbs and was told by both that NO AT&T STORES WILL HAVE JET BLACK MODELS AT LAUNCH. I assumed they meant just the plus models so I asked what about the 4.7" and was guaranteed that no JB will be available. :(

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Just spoke with two AT&T Company Stores in the suburbs and was told by both that NO AT&T STORES WILL HAVE JET BLACK MODELS AT LAUNCH. I assumed they meant just the plus models so I asked what about the 4.7" and was guaranteed that no JB will be available. :(
potsy, i wouldn't trust what stores tell you

Reactions: ohio.emt

medenblik

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2014
I do know when the 5S came out and corporate att store I camped out at on launch day didn't have any space grey. Only silver. So I got 2 silver...so it's possible

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I can easily believe that carrier stores will have either none or very little JB. I'm pretty sure they won't have any though. Makes sense.

Phightinphils

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
USA
If Apple itself is out of JB's until November, this is the least bit surprising. Anecdotally, carrier stores have poor inventory of the desirable models on launch every year.

Yea I'm not gonna waste my time gambling on AT&T by waiting in line all night when I could drive a little further and camp at an Apple Store. I just stopped by the Apple Store and the rep said that before pre-orders even started there was a large batch of every model set aside for walk-ins on Friday. I'm not saying I'm expecting them to have JB+ models but Jet Black 4.7" models wouldn't be out of the ballpark.

After all, it is an Apple phone at an Apple store... (her words, not mine)
[doublepost=1473889723][/doublepost]
Because it looks absolutely stunning, and some people don't mind "micro abrasions"; or they just use a case 90% of the time, and when they don't use the case for other 10% of the time, they like admiring a beautiful piece of hardware.

Scratches/smudges or not, the device looks like one big piece of glass. Stunning is an understatement.
[doublepost=1473889767][/doublepost]
potsy, i wouldn't trust what stores tell you

True, but I guess I took them as truthful since he offered to hold me a matte black model if I wanted. Probably wouldn't have been that nice if he was lying to me idk?
[doublepost=1473889834][/doublepost]
I can easily believe that carrier stores will have either none or very little JB. I'm pretty sure they won't have any though. Makes sense.

Yea - even worse is that I had a 6+, got tired of the size and got a 4.7" 6S, ordered a 4.7" 7 and now I'm majorly regretting not going back it the plus D:

Reactions: King Shady

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Because it looks absolutely stunning, and some people don't mind "micro abrasions"; or they just use a case 90% of the time, and when they don't use the case for other 10% of the time, they like admiring a beautiful piece of hardware.

BS, everyone will mind those abrasions. Then you will have to case to minimize. Then you'll want to resell and have to highlight them.

Absolutely the dumbest color that Apple has returned to the lineup.

Everyone hates fingerprints and scratches. Cool-aid available one forum over.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Honestly, I don't know why people are so obsessed with folks who will get the jet black. I mean, there's the PSA aspect of "hey, if you didn't realize it initially, it'll scratch" but it's beginning to border on obsession.

I'm getting jet black. I figured it would scratch (oh, a high gloss black object scratching? color me shocked!) even before the reviewers confirmed it. Don't really care.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
BS, everyone will mind those abrasions. Then you will have to case to minimize. Then you'll want to resell and have to highlight them.

Absolutely the dumbest color that Apple has returned to the lineup.

Everyone hates fingerprints and scratches. Cool-aid available one forum over.

You wait and see. The JB will have higher resale value in about a year because it's the new kid on the block. Just like the white iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 a year after their release, as well as the gold iPhone 5s.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
You wait and see. The JB will have higher resale value in about a year because it's the new kid on the block. Just like the white iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 a year after their release, as well as the gold iPhone 5s.

Will Never Happen.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
My friend is a regional manager for a few AT&T stores and he assured me that employees, managers have absolutely no idea what they are and are not getting until the shipment arrives. Whoever you spoke to is probably just making an educated guess based on what is being regurgitated all over the internet

Reactions: shox2k2 and HiItsMe

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I happen to know that no one has any knowledge of how many of what color they will be receiving at this point. Im so confident id put cash money on it!!!!!

Reactions: bnekic

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
LOL I dont understand why so many people are freaking out about JB and the "micro-abrasions". I have a black car, Its gonna scratch, its more expensive than any phone, and its not a big deal. Its just a phone and apple is gonna release a new color next year probably that will have people gushing over it and even more "WHAT COLOR SHOULD I GET" threads haha

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

Probably that's Why Sprint has plenty of 7 Pluses and Jet Black Models as recompence for not getting enough Rose Gold Units last year. Seems like supply distribution was handled at the highest levels. And At&t had tons of Rose Gold in 2015.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I'm in Canada, but I can say that I know that at least one of the carriers has told employees that they won't have any jet black models until October at the earliest, and they can't say when in October.

brienlaw

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
I'm in Canada, but I can say that I know that at least one of the carriers has told employees that they won't have any jet black models until October at the earliest, and they can't say when in October.
which carrier? Telus?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
My friend is a regional manager for a few AT&T stores and he assured me that employees, managers have absolutely no idea what they are and are not getting until the shipment arrives. Whoever you spoke to is probably just making an educated guess based on what is being regurgitated all over the internet
This is true.

The only certainty is they won't have iPhone 7 Plus models till Saturday.

SR42

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
None of this is true. In line at ATT already. They have 20 pluses, just not in any blacks. They have one jet black 7 and a few matte black 7's. I was going for a black plus 128, weighing my options deciding what to do.

ciscomata

Suspended
Sep 26, 2014
Texas
I'm 2nd in line, but my preorder is preparing for shipment so I might get the 7+ Jet Black 256gb att anyways..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.