Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey,

after I waited a long time for Tempo (calenader app) and it was a flop I tried out "Fantastical" ... I heard a lot of good things and I use it on my Mac and it's great, but on my iPhone it doesn't work as expected.

Normally I get 15 minutes before every appointment a reminder with a banner from the iOS calender app. I set that up for Fantastical, but it doesn't work. Nothing shows up, nothing vibrates or rings.

Anybody else who has the same issue and found a solution for that?

Btw. the notification settings in the "Settings" of iOS are set up :)

Thanks
Jaypi

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Hey,

after I waited a long time for Tempo (calenader app) and it was a flop I tried out "Fantastical" ... I heard a lot of good things and I use it on my Mac and it's great, but on my iPhone it doesn't work as expected.

Normally I get 15 minutes before every appointment a reminder with a banner from the iOS calender app. I set that up for Fantastical, but it doesn't work. Nothing shows up, nothing vibrates or rings.

Anybody else who has the same issue and found a solution for that?

Btw. the notification settings in the "Settings" of iOS are set up :)

Thanks
Jaypi

This is more a limitation of iOS rather than the calendar apps that display notifications. I also use Fantastical as my primary. I have tried several configurations in setting but have not been able to get the notifications from Fantastical to show properly.

The only calendar app I have used in the past that "semi" works is Agenda calendar.

http://support.savvyapps.com/entrie...om-the-iOS-calendar-reminders-app-and-Agenda-

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
I was able to deactivate the iOS calender notifications and the tempo notifications are working perfect, there are just not notifications for Fantastical ..

That shouldn't be an iOS issue.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
I was able to deactivate the iOS calender notifications and the tempo notifications are working perfect, there are just not notifications for Fantastical ..

That shouldn't be an iOS issue.

Alerts are not opening Fantastical. How do I fix this?
Unfortunately, iOS does not allow third-party apps to access alerts for the calendar so this is not possible. We hope Apple will improve this in the future.

http://flexibits.com/fantastical-iphone/faq

You may want to shoot them an email. I suspect they will refer you to the FAQ though. The FAQ doesn't address why the app does not trigger their own notifications. Like I said, the only App I have used that sucessfully triggered their own notifications is Agenda and their faq's addresses duplicate notifications from happening.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks I sent them an e-mail because that is not true.

"tempo" found a way because I got push notifications for every appointment in my calender :)

I will let you know when I know more.

That's the answer:
Fantastical doesn't support creating its own alerts separate from Calendar's alerts. The reason we don't is because we feel that the approach other apps take isn't reliable enough to use full time. Other similar apps use something called local notifications to do what you're describing. Third-party apps are limited to a maximum of 64 notifications at once, so if you were to have a busy schedule and didn't regularly reopen the app to update the notifications, you would suddenly stop receiving new notifications. Moreover, they are unable to schedule alerts for events that may have been created somewhere else, such as on your computer. Since third-party apps can't run in the background, there's no way to know that a new event with an alert was created. This second reason is the primary thing that we're afraid of. We don't want to give people a false sense of security thinking that they're going to be receiving alerts when they might not necessarily work depending on where the event was created.

I realize this isn't ideal, but it's a limitation of in what third-party iOS apps are currently capable of. We'd much rather err on the side of ensuring everyone reliably receives notifications rather than providing a feature that may work most of the time but fails at a critical moment.

Jon

Last edited:

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I knew it was an iOS limitation. The Dev for Pocket Informant had a similar situation when the current date badge would not update unless the app was reopened. A similar method to what was described above is used to make sure the badge updates automatically.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Add Calvetica to the list that can show notifications without seeing the default iOS calendar notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.