Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
I recently spent several hours getting Windows (10, build 17763 LTSC) going on a circa-2012 MacBook Pro (the 15" "retina" model, if it matters) and eventually got through the DSDT disaster to get sound working, the Bluetooth rigmarole, the horrible "Boot Camp" software, and the Precision Trackpad Driver, but I'm left with a couple of issues that I'm hoping someone will have an answer for, now that I'm looking at a clean Device Manager.

Mainly, does anyone know if there is a way to have brightness control in Windows? Even if it is automatic based on light sensor data, I'm happy with that, but I'd rather not have it be stuck at one level forever. The other special keys on the keyboard work, (after getting "Boot Camp" installed) but not the ones for brightness, and Windows doesn't have any control of it either. Additionally, the checkbox for automatic control is disabled.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
Just to provide an update on the situation, there is no "display" tab on Boot Camp Control Panel in this version. I've tried several suggestions discovered in various forum threads, but to no avail:

1. Installing Apple Hal Driver from much newer Boot Camp install package intended for a newer model. It installed successfully and has had no negative side effects, but still doesn't get me that brightness control.
  2. Disabling "generic pnp monitor" in Device Manager. Nothing bad happens, surprisingly, but I still cannot control the brightness.
I'm certainly open to ideas if anybody has any.

Rimmsi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2021
Czech Republic
I think your model is dont directly supported by Apple. I read on the Apple website that support for Windows 10 is from 2013. At my rMBP 2015, automatic brightness control works without any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.