Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badmojo69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Just wanted to say the 12.9 iPad IMOP is the best tablet to use for reading comics if you want a near perfect experience.

The 10.9 is okay, but does down size. I placed a comic on top of my screen (I use ComiXology) and it was a perfect fit. When I say perfect it was spot on.

I think people forget that comics do not go from screen edge to edge so anything smaller than 12.9 will not give you an actual comic sized representation.

And the reason I say almost no compromise is because no tablet will ever be able to do justice to a traditional comic double page spread drawing.

Reactions: sracer

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Yes, comics look most true to life on 12.9" - and european comics are even better as their format is almost the same in terms of proportions to the iPad screen, so they fill it up completely (you can find a solid selection of EU comics on Comixology, check them out, they are amazingly well done - try Black Sad or Ekhö for example)

However, with that said, the 10.5 is easier to hold and, to be honest, if I was getting an iPad Pro just for content consumption, I'd probably get the smaller one - and I read a lot of Comixology.

But since I use my iPad Pro for illustration work, the 12.9" was the obvious choice so, yes, I'm glad the comics look amazing on it.

Reactions: badmojo69

33coe

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I used to read comics on a mini, I was debating between the 10.5 and the 12.9 for months, before it was even announced, I eventually settled on 10.5 since I felt like 12.9 wasn't portable enough for me. I might end up getting a first gen 12.9 later on solely for at home use for videos and comics. Btw, what are you guys reading? DC Rebirth has been soooooo good.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Just wanted to say the 12.9 iPad IMOP is the best tablet to use for reading comics if you want a near perfect experience.

The 10.9 is okay, but does down size. I placed a comic on top of my screen (I use ComiXology) and it was a perfect fit. When I say perfect it was spot on.

I think people forget that comics do not go from screen edge to edge so anything smaller than 12.9 will not give you an actual comic sized representation.

And the reason I say almost no compromise is because no tablet will ever be able to do justice to a traditional comic double page spread drawing.
Yep. Comics is why I bought the 12.9. The 7.7" x 10.3" dimensions is perfectly suitable even for Silver Age. Although I mostly read modern age which is 6.625" x 10.25".

That said, I'm actually okay reading portrait on 9.7 iPads so double-page spread on 12.9 is actually tolerable now. They were just way too small on the 9.7.
[doublepost=1498418307][/doublepost]
I used to read comics on a mini, I was debating between the 10.5 and the 12.9 for months, before it was even announced, I eventually settled on 10.5 since I felt like 12.9 wasn't portable enough for me. I might end up getting a first gen 12.9 later on solely for at home use for videos and comics. Btw, what are you guys reading? DC Rebirth has been soooooo good.
Super Sons! The latest issue is a riot.

Alfred: Please step out of the dinosaur's buttocks.

Image:
Monstress, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, I Hate Fairyland, Crosswind

DC:
Super Sons, Superman, Action, Deathstroke, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, RHATO

Getting Secret Empire right now but I don't know if I'll pick up any new Marvel books after that's done.

33coe

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I'm loving every DC title you just mentioned but I'm not caught up with all of them, sounds like we've got similar tastes. You should also check out New Super-Man. It's just as good as any of the other titles you mentioned. You're not a fan of Kings Batman or All Star?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm loving every DC title you just mentioned but I'm not caught up with all of them, sounds like we've got similar tastes. You should also check out New Super-Man. It's just as good as any of the other titles you mentioned. You're not a fan of Kings Batman or All Star?
Oh, I just bought Yang's New Super-Man Vol 1 TPB last week and added to my pull. I love how DC now includes digital codes for their monthlies (I get 30% discount from my LCS). Probably won't get around to reading the single issues until Vol 2 TPB is out, though. :p

I do enjoy Tom King's Batman and Tynion's Tec. Snyder's All-Star Batman, I also liked but I didn't quite $4.99 like it. All-Star is moving to prestige format which I'd probably enjoy a lot better.

Problem is affording all of the comics I want to read. My monthly single issue wish list is easily $200-300. I'm also at the limit of being able to keep track of all the storylines I follow so I started trade waiting almost all the biweeklies (waiting for digital sales, too). There's pretty much no chance of DC cancelling Batman so channeling funds towards books that are more "in danger".

Despite how pricey the iPad Pro 12.9 512GB LTE is, comics are still more expensive. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: yegon

badmojo69

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Yes, comics look most true to life on 12.9" - and european comics are even better as their format is almost the same in terms of proportions to the iPad screen, so they fill it up completely (you can find a solid selection of EU comics on Comixology, check them out, they are amazingly well done - try Black Sad or Ekhö for example)

However, with that said, the 10.5 is easier to hold and, to be honest, if I was getting an iPad Pro just for content consumption, I'd probably get the smaller one - and I read a lot of Comixology.

But since I use my iPad Pro for illustration work, the 12.9" was the obvious choice so, yes, I'm glad the comics look amazing on it.

True the 10.5 is easier to hold, but the 12.9 makes consumption that much better.
My tablets are always on the floor, bed, lap, or stand. So I'm never doing much if any physical holding.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
True the 10.5 is easier to hold, but the 12.9 makes consumption that much better.
My tablets are always on the floor, bed, lap, or stand. So I'm never doing much if any physical holding.
I'm very happy with the 10.5 and comics. I'm sure the 12.9would display the larger but the 10.5 is very holdable

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm very happy with the 10.5 and comics. I'm sure the 12.9 would display the larger but the 10.5 is very holdable
Doublepage spreads is why I went with 12.9. I hate Guided View and the 12.9 is almost as large as two 9.7 iPads side by side. The aspect ratio in landscape is pretty perfect for doublepage spreads. Still not ideal but far more legible than either 9.7 or 10.5 at 264 PPI.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I use the Texture app on my 12.9 IPP to read magazines. The fact that the screen is almost identical to an 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper makes it seem like you're reading a color magazine.

UOThief

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2015
Bay Area, CA
The only digital comics I have read were a few of the Walking Dead books on my iPad Air 2.

I got though a few them before I grew tired of scrolling through panel by panel.

12.9" is completely different. I'm actually able to read in full page mode.

I randomly started Locke & Key... for no reason other than I'm a fan of Lovecraft stuff and wanted to try something NOT Marvel or DC (or superheroes in general).

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
IMO there is no better tablet on the market for reading (digital and scanned) comics, magazines, and vintage catalogs than the 12.9 Pro.

I agree. Screen and aspect ratio rule. Plus iOS and ipad are just so quick to turn on and get going. No stutters just a slick experience.

33coe

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
Oh, I just bought Yang's New Super-Man Vol 1 TPB last week and added to my pull. I love how DC now includes digital codes for their monthlies (I get 30% discount from my LCS). Probably won't get around to reading the single issues until Vol 2 TPB is out, though. :p

I do enjoy Tom King's Batman and Tynion's Tec. Snyder's All-Star Batman, I also liked but I didn't quite $4.99 like it. All-Star is moving to prestige format which I'd probably enjoy a lot better.

Problem is affording all of the comics I want to read. My monthly single issue wish list is easily $200-300. I'm also at the limit of being able to keep track of all the storylines I follow so I started trade waiting almost all the biweeklies (waiting for digital sales, too). There's pretty much no chance of DC cancelling Batman so channeling funds towards books that are more "in danger".

Despite how pricey the iPad Pro 12.9 512GB LTE is, comics are still more expensive. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you channeling funds towards books that are in danger, that's why I always make sure to get New Super-Man all the time. It's the best series the general public isn't reading, the DC subreddit loves it though.

Have you thought about pre-ordering from DCBS? You won't get your comics ASAP but it'll be 40% cheaper, so if you're spending up to 200 a month, it could save you a good 80 dollars or so.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Glad to see you channeling funds towards books that are in danger, that's why I always make sure to get New Super-Man all the time. It's the best series the general public isn't reading, the DC subreddit loves it though.

Have you thought about pre-ordering from DCBS? You won't get your comics ASAP but it'll be 40% cheaper, so if you're spending up to 200 a month, it could save you a good 80 dollars or so.
Lol, I'm too impatient to wait for shipping. I get a pretty good preorder discount on DC and Marvel from my LCS anyway (30% off cover price, ~23% after tax). I keep my periodical pulls to ~$100 after discount and taxes (so usually $130 retail). Then I've got another $50-100 contingency for one-shots, impulse purchases and collections. :D

The collections, I mostly get via InStockTrades (DCBS's sister site).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.