Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topher06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
I own a MBP mid-2012 non-Retina i7 with 16gb RAM running the latest Catalina 10.15.7
I use a MiniDisplayPort adapter for HDMI and another one for VGA. Both work nicely on my MBP late-2008 on Yosemite when linked to my LG monitor.
But the latter is never detected by the MBP 2012 (and yes, I did press the option key to detect monitors in the preferences panel).

I have tried the SMC reset, PRAM, NVRAM, safe mode start, the start-up-the-Mac-then-shut-it-quick trick, various Terminal command lines, but still no monitor...
I cannot tell whether the Catalina upgrade has anything to do with it because it was freshly installed when I bought the machine. However, it's making me want to format everything and switch to Mojave if this means my HDMI/VGA will work as it is rather essential for me.

Any tips are more than welcome ! Thanks a lot !

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
I hope you haven't bought a 2012 with a broken mini DisplayPort.

To drill down further would require more isolation. Does the Thunderbolt Bus show in System Information? Does a second display show in System Information> Displays when you connect the display? Does a different HDMI display work? Does a different adaptor work (probably not, since the current adaptor works on the 2008)? Does mDVI to VGA display work?

Or, just skip to reinstalling Catalina in case it's just a bad install.

I don't think you will get any advantage from downgrading to pre-Catalina - mDVI to HDMI 1080p works fine for me on Catalina - but it's not very difficult to do so by creating a bootable installer if you want to try.

Reactions: Topher06

Topher06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Thanks for your help, Brian !

Actually, my MiniDisplayPort adapter doesn't seem to register as a Thunderbolt device. When I plug it in to my 2008, it says "no device connected" under the Thunderbolt tab - and yet it works.
Of course, on the 2012, it says the same thing but doesn't work - and doesn't show the 2nd display either...

Unfortunately, I don't have another HDMI display or genuine Thunderbolt 1 cable or Thunderbolt-powered device to test things but it seems to be the next step for me. Also run some kind of hardware test software I guess. If everything fails, I'll have to try reinstalling Catalina or downgrading to Mojave since many users seem to blame Catalina for their HDMI issues.

Still looking - and still open to suggestions ! ?

Thanks again !

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
MiniDisplayPort adapter would not appear under the Thunderbolt tab, it is a graphics/display adapter and should appear under that tab. The adapter should appear under the graphics/display listing on the 2012, it will not appear under the Thunderbolt tab. Thunderbolt devices will never appear on the 2008, thunderbolt did not appear until 2011.

brianmowrey

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
Yeah, I wasn't sure what thunderbolt tab refers to, so scratch that. But if "doesn't show the 2nd display" refers to the Displays tab, then that suggests a hardware or OS problem. If you have a quality local repair shop they can probably test a different display / connector setup for you on the spot just to rule that out. Or, you can skip to reinstall OS since that's non-destructive anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.