Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Hi there,

Just got a brandnew samsung led tv and because of this I have to use hdmi to get my mac running onscreen.

I've purchased a mini displayport to hdmi adapter and connected everything but I cannot for the life of me get any sound to come through the tv. The picture is there but sound still comes through my mbp's built-in speakers.

I've checked around and as far as I can tell my mbp (purchased June 2010) should support sound via the displayport.

I've tried looking around and reading various forum posts and all that but I just can't get it working.

Please help.

Last edited:

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I have the right adapter - the apple one that allows both picture and sound.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
In systen preferences make sure you see this :

Then select the TV as the sound output.

Also make sure the TV has speakers and they are turned on.

Attachments

• soundout.png
    soundout.png
    54 KB · Views: 5,199

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
In systen preferences make sure you see this :

Then select the TV as the sound output.

Also make sure the TV has speakers and they are turned on.

That's the problem, i don't get the 'hdmi' option as an output.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
As far as your MBP and that adapter :

*Audio support is only available for MacBook Pro 13/15/17-in. mid-2010 release; iMac 21.5/27-in. early-2010 release

If you have one of those I'd suggest going into the TV menu and making sure digital audio is turned on and the speakers are also turned on .

Then unplug the adapter and re-attach it.

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
As for my mac, it is a 17 mbp mid-2010 andill check the audio settings on the tv now and if i cant sort it ill takeit all down to the apple store monday.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
As for my mac, it is a 17 mbp mid-2010 andill check the audio settings on the tv now and if i cant sort it ill takeit all down to the apple store monday.

Just so we can confirm you have the right model, goto the "Apple" menu and choose "About this mac" then choose "More info..." and finally "System Report."

What model identifier does your MBP have? If it is a mid 2010 it will be MacBookPro6,1

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Don't you have to restart the MBP with the adapter plugged in to the MBP and TV for the HDMI option to show up in should preferences?

I am not sure, it's been a while since I messed with it.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I had this option for a LONG time! I would plug in the HDMI using the I think the belkin (I forget, its been a while since I opened the box :D) and it would just not work...when I updated to Lion and VLC (the media player I use) updated as well I got the option for HDMI! Before that I had to use a direct S/PDIF optical link to my receiver. Now the I just plug the HDMI in and it passes PCM/Dolby Digital over optical from the TV to the decoder...it won't however, pass DTS (VLC has to keep it at PCM which is fine sometimes I guess since my receiver does Pro Logic). If worst comes to worst, go on amazon and by a S/PDIF connecter for use with a surround sound decoder or one of those cables that lets you pass analog audio using any 3.5mm headphone port.

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I've sorted the issue out. Problem with my motherboard, but it's been fixed now and it's all working again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.