Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I have a very large music library and I prefer high quality music files (Apple Lossless). Most of my music was purchased on CD and imported as Apple Lossless tracks. I rarely purchase tracks from Apple. I am finally giving Apple Music a try but I have no interest in using the iCloud Music Library. When/if Apple creates a match service that uses Apple Lossless tracks, I may give it a try. Until then, I'm not interested. I also edit my metadata a bit, which is another reason I don't want to use Apple's match service.

I have a lot of music on my iPhone that I have synced there via iTunes and USB.

Since I am not using the iCloud Music Library, I am not able to download a song on Apple Music to my devices or add them to a playlist, for offline playing. That's fine. I have unlimited data which works fine for the most part if I'm not in wifi. So what are the tracks in the Downloaded Music section of the Music app on my iPhone? There's also a Downloaded library on my Mac. I thought the Downloaded Music section was where I would find the offline music tracks I downloaded from Apple Music (if I had the iCloud Music Library turned on). Since I have never used the iCloud Music Library, how do I have anything other than the few tracks I bought from Apple in the Downloaded Music section on my iPhone? When I look at the Downloaded library on my Mac, it appears to contain almost all of the music I own. I don't understand what it is. When I look at the Downloaded Music section on my iPhone, I recognize albums that I know where never purchased or downloaded from Apple - they are tracks I know I imported myself from CD. Why does my phone and my Mac consider these Downloaded tracks?

I suspect things are looking odd since I am unwilling to use Apple Music the way Apple wants me to use it. But I want more control of the sound quality and the metadata. C'mon Apple, step it up with sound quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.