Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I know that this is supposed to have been fixed in 12.01, but this has happened to me a few times, with the latest being last night.

Plugged the lighting connector into the phone wile the screen was off. Next, I plugged the Apple charger, nad cables (only about 4 months old with no wear or loose connections into the plug ends) into the wall (USB cable already in it) and the phone didn't do a thing to indicate it was charging. I waited about 20 seconds, picked up the phone, pressed the home button, and the phone made a sound to indicate that it was charging. The charging icon was present too.

Is anyone else still having charging issues since upgrading to 12.0.1 ?

I have an iPhone 8.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I know that this is supposed to have been fixed in 12.01, but this has happened to me a few times, with the latest being last night.

Plugged the lighting connector into the phone wile the screen was off. Next, I plugged the Apple charger, nad cables (only about 4 months old with no wear or loose connections into the plug ends) into the wall (USB cable already in it) and the phone didn't do a thing to indicate it was charging. I waited about 20 seconds, picked up the phone, pressed the home button, and the phone made a sound to indicate that it was charging. The charging icon was present too.

Is anyone else still having charging issues since upgrading to 12.0.1 ?

I have an iPhone 8.
No problem om my XS

NoHo

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
My iPhone 7 has been doing this since I upgraded to iOS 12 and Mojave. It doesn't recognize the phone or show it charging, but it does charge, just very slowly. If it's at 65% when I go to bed and leave it plugged into my MacBook, when I get up its at 88%, so it's charging, barely. I was hoping the upgrade to iOS 12.1 would fix it but it didn't.

it charges normally on everything else be it wall charger, PS4 using some lighting cable and even in the car cigarette charger using the same lighting cable, but the MacBook does not want anything to do with it.

No idea how to fix it and haven't found a solution yet.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Are you sure your device is unlocked when you plug it in? I've experienced that myself.

The device is not unlocked, but in the past, it didn't matter. This is new, and intermittent in iOS 12.x.
The phone should charge when it is plugged in regardless of whether it is locked or not, shouldn't it? My GF has an iPhone 7S Plus, and it charges whether it's locked or not.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
The device is not unlocked, but in the past, it didn't matter. This is new, and intermittent in iOS 12.x.
The phone should charge when it is plugged in regardless of whether it is locked or not, shouldn't it? My GF has an iPhone 7S Plus, and it charges whether it's locked or not.

You missed the announcement Apple made about USB security. Ensure when you plug in your cord the phone recognizes it. If not, unlock it and the charge should commence. You'd think they could tell the difference between power source and something trying to access the device. Maybe they did, but found a hacker could still gain access. Who knows.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
You missed the announcement Apple made about USB security. Ensure when you plug in your cord the phone recognizes it. If not, unlock it and the charge should commence. You'd think they could tell the difference between power source and something trying to access the device. Maybe they did, but found a hacker could still gain access. Who knows.

Thanks! I thought this problem was only in iOS 11.x, and they fixed it in 12.x.
Do you have a link where Apple (official) posted this information? I have this link, but again, I though the issues was fixed in 12.x per the release notes.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It depends on what you are plugging into. If it’s just a charger it will charge. Some 3rd party devices maybe iffy.

If it’s plugged into something that can communicate (PC, Mac, music dock, etc) the USB may be locked out. Until you unlock it with Face ID or manually.

This happen only occasionally because the USB enters this mode when it hasn’t been unlocked for 1 hour.

You can turn it off but first the point of this feature. This USB restriction is to prevent private data from being taken off your phone by a thief with the right equipment.

To turn it off goto setting > face/TouchID and toggle on “USB accessories”.

Reactions: Recognition

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Thanks! I thought this problem was only in iOS 11.x, and they fixed it in 12.x.
Do you have a link where Apple (official) posted this information? I have this link, but again, I though the issues was fixed in 12.x per the release notes.

You may be confusing the fix in 12.0.1 that was specific to the XS. Some people reported the XS would not charge when plugged in to a lightening cable when it should. It doesn't say this, but that means unlocked within the last hour and other conditions where the USB lock wouldn't prevent it. Here's the link for 12.0.1 etc:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209084

jday7757

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2012
I have a XS and I use wireless charging at night. I did NOT have a charging problem at all in iOS 12.0 or 12.01 either wirelessly or connected to a lightning cord UNTIL last night. I laid the XS on the wireless charging pad and nothing. I picked it up, unlocked it and placed it back down and still nothing. I then plugged it in via FireWire and it immediately started charging. So, I unplugged it and tried the wireless pad again and still nothing. I then shut down the XS and restarted it. Then, when I put it on the wireless charging pad it worked. I’m not suggesting this as a fix because no one wants to reboot their phone to get it to charge. It’s just strange that after weeks of not having the charging issue and being on iOS 12.01 this happened last night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.