Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I can no longer access the Marketplace forum. I sold and bought quite a few times on the forum.

I checked the forum rules but I don't seem to find any change that would justify my exclusion.

I can see the "Marketplace" thread in the forums section, I have access to the link but have access only to the sticky threads, I don't see any user created thread and the following is displayed: "(You have insufficient privileges to post here.)"

Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
bmacir

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The marketplace was divided up. You can no longer post in the highest level. You have to post in the appropriate subforum.

Really?

I hadn't noticed; must take a look to see what has happened as I haven't paid a visit to the Marketplace forum in ages.

When did this happen? And how is it divided up?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What was the thinking behind this division into sub-fora? Was the original marketplace becoming too unwieldy?

It came up in a discussion about the MP bump rule. With everything in one forum, member's sale threads tended to drift off the first page fairly quickly. So having subforums cuts down on the number of threads posted in each section, and keeps your sale visible on the first page longer, mitigating the need to bump.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It came up in a discussion about the MP bump rule. With everything in one forum, member's sale threads tended to drift off the first page fairly quickly. So having subforums cuts down on the number of threads posted in each section, and keeps your sale visible on the first page longer, mitigating the need to bump.

Thanks very much for your explanation and I must say that this does make a lot of sense.

Hadn't realised that some of the 'for sale' threads slipped down the page so quickly, but, it is a part of the forum I don't frequent all that often.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.