Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I just realized this, but apple Is no longer selling any of the watches in the rose gold color! What are your thoughts as to why? I love my rose gold series 2 watch! IMO the rose gold matches with outfits way more than the gold does.

I tried the silver aluminum Series 1 at first and spent that whole year regretting not getting the rose gold. So much so that when the series 2 was released, I decided to sell the Series 1 and buy a Rose Gold Series 2. I have pretty pale skin, and the silver actually stood out on my wrist way more than the rose gold does!

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
The new Gold is not the same of the old gold, it's brighter and lighter than the previous Gold, but it's really similar to Rose Gold

It's 65% Rose Gold, 35% Gold

It appears Apple doesn't consider the new Gold to be a typical masculine color, hence there's no typical male color band combo

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
The new gold is not the same of the old gold, it's brighter and lighter than the previous Gold, but it's still gold

It's 65% Gold, 35% Rose Gold
Thats for the phones, from the looks of the pictures online, the watches are still that yellow gold from before.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
I've updated my comment to reflect my recent findings
To be honest, I didn't really see the old gold as too masculine either...

But either way, I'm still disappointed that the Rose Gold is no longer an option! Like I said, I've tried the silver color (for a whole year) and hated it. So looks like I'll have to hold onto my Rose Gold S2 model for as long as possible.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
To be honest, I didn't really see the old gold as too masculine either...

But either way, I'm still disappointed that the Rose Gold is no longer an option! Like I said, I've tried the silver color (for a whole year) and hated it. So looks like I'll have to hold onto my Rose Gold S2 model for as long as possible.
Once you go Space Black you'll never go back, not even to a stainless steel silver!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just realized this, but apple Is no longer selling any of the watches in the rose gold color! What are your thoughts as to why? I love my rose gold series 2 watch! IMO the rose gold matches with outfits way more than the gold does.

I tried the silver aluminum Series 1 at first and spent that whole year regretting not getting the rose gold. So much so that when the series 2 was released, I decided to sell the Series 1 and buy a Rose Gold Series 2. I have pretty pale skin, and the silver actually stood out on my wrist way more than the rose gold does!

Sometimes Apple does this where they will bring a certain color in for a short amount of time and then discontinue it. Similarly to what they did with the Product Red iPhone, and now it's discontinued. There really is no timeline for anyone specific case in color. But I doubt rose gold was all that popular as well, at least in comparison to silver and space gray.

vp719

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
I work at a University and would say that 90% of the girls I see wearing the watch wear Rose Gold. Interested decision to kill it off imo

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thats for the phones, from the looks of the pictures online, the watches are still that yellow gold from before.

Thats funny because I started a thread mad that they discontinued the other gold color and that the new gold color looked too pink to me. Actually, I'm less peeved about the watch color than the lack of band options (only pink sand for both 38 and 42mm).

I actually don't mind wearing the pink as a man, but the color doesn't go with many bands as I see it in the pictures. The more muted tone of the old "gold" aluminum I think went better with a wider variety of bands.

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Thats funny because I started a thread mad that they discontinued the other gold color and that the new gold color looked too pink to me. Actually, I'm less peeved about the watch color than the lack of band options (only pink sand for both 38 and 42mm).

I actually don't mind wearing the pink as a man, but the color doesn't go with many bands as I see it in the pictures. The more muted tone of the old "gold" aluminum I think went better with a wider variety of bands.
Interesting! I see it the other way! (but then again as a girl, I think the rose gold goes well with more girly colored bands! but I agree, overall it went with less option. but between my pink sport band, a pink Milanese knock off band, and the pink/blue nylon band that apple had it matches well enough for me!)

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Apple has ditched Rose Gold entirely across all their new product lines from what I can see (other than the MacBook). I've read their new gold color is a bit of a hybrid - will have to see in person to make my own judgment. I'm somewhat surprised by this, but not entirely. Apple is playing this like a fashion company - frequently switching up their color and watch strap offerings across the years and the seasons to "keep it fresh". It's a big departure from the Apple of old, seemingly prompted by their entry into the watch space.

I know a number of people that have the Rose Gold watches or phones. I guess they'll just pick something new but I think more than a few people will be sad about it. Though those looking to sell old models might get a few bucks more.

Reactions: kougra6541

kougra6541

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
Apple has ditched Rose Gold entirely across all their new product lines from what I can see (other than the MacBook). I've read their new gold color is a bit of a hybrid - will have to see in person to make my own judgment. I'm somewhat surprised by this, but not entirely. Apple is playing this like a fashion company - frequently switching up their color and watch strap offerings across the years and the seasons to "keep it fresh". It's a big departure from the Apple of old, seemingly prompted by their entry into the watch space.

I know a number of people that have the Rose Gold watches or phones. I guess they'll just pick something new but I think more than a few people will be sad about it. Though those looking to sell old models might get a few bucks more.
That is true! I'm sure my rose gold model will hold its value a little longer now! But definitely sad since I didn't like the other color options on me! I'll obviously have to give the new gold a second chance, but I'm not hopeful for it!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I never viewed rose gold as more of a pink. It Always have more of a burn hue tone look to it. But I also was never afraid to sport rose gold, as I think it's a very nice looking color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.