Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Ever since I purchased my iPhone 6 Plus, I used T-Mobile as my service provider. Whenever I had a new voice message, the phone icon on my home screen would light up with a number to indicate how many voice messages I had. In addition, when opening the phone app, the Voicemail tab would also light up with the same number.

Recently, I switched to Tracfone to save some money. It seems as though ever since I switched, my phone no longer shows a notification when I have a new voice message. It does show a notification if I missed a call (assuming my phone was on when the call came in), but that's it.

It seemed strange that I haven't had any voicemails recently, so I called my voicemail box last night and I had 20+ new voice messages that I was not aware of.

I've spoken to Tracfone 4 times today, each time they told me that they have "made an update" on their end which should resolve the issue and to wait an hour for it to take affect. And each time, the issue has not been resolved. The only other thing they recommended is that I need to manually dial my voicemail box each time I want to find out whether or not I have a new message (which is ridiculous).

I've searched Google to try to find a resolution, and I've done everything that other people have recommended (turn phone off/on, reset network settings, turn airplane mode on/off, take out sim card and put it back in, update system software) and nothing has worked.

I found a YouTube video (linked below) that indicates it is possible to have voicemail notifications on an iPhone 6 when using Tracfone BYOP plan, so I don't think I'm completely out of luck.

I could really use some help on getting this issue resolved. Can anyone help me please?

(I don't know if I need to mention this or not, but I crossposted this on iphoneforums.net, then realized that forum doesn't seem to be very active)

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Ever since I purchased my iPhone 6 Plus, I used T-Mobile as my service provider. Whenever I had a new voice message, the phone icon on my home screen would light up with a number to indicate how many voice messages I had. In addition, when opening the phone app, the Voicemail tab would also light up with the same number.

Recently, I switched to Tracfone to save some money. It seems as though ever since I switched, my phone no longer shows a notification when I have a new voice message. It does show a notification if I missed a call (assuming my phone was on when the call came in), but that's it.

It seemed strange that I haven't had any voicemails recently, so I called my voicemail box last night and I had 20+ new voice messages that I was not aware of.

I've spoken to Tracfone 4 times today, each time they told me that they have "made an update" on their end which should resolve the issue and to wait an hour for it to take affect. And each time, the issue has not been resolved. The only other thing they recommended is that I need to manually dial my voicemail box each time I want to find out whether or not I have a new message (which is ridiculous).

I've searched Google to try to find a resolution, and I've done everything that other people have recommended (turn phone off/on, reset network settings, turn airplane mode on/off, take out sim card and put it back in, update system software) and nothing has worked.

I found a YouTube video (linked below) that indicates it is possible to have voicemail notifications on an iPhone 6 when using Tracfone BYOP plan, so I don't think I'm completely out of luck.

I could really use some help on getting this issue resolved. Can anyone help me please?

(I don't know if I need to mention this or not, but I crossposted this on iphoneforums.net, then realized that forum doesn't seem to be very active)
Try going to Settings—>General—>About and tapping on Carrier. If there is a carrier version update, a prompt will pop up asking if you’d like to install it. That’s all I can think of at this point.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks. I did try that, but there doesn't appear to be any update available.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
When I switched to StraightTalk (which piggybacks off of Tracfone) I changed our voicemail to Google Voice. You can get an email with the message attached and a transcription of the message.

Google Voice is a separate number so essentially what you're doing is setting up forwarding, after a few rings, to the GV number where the voicemail system answers.

Also, with contacts in the same Google account, you can set up different voicemail greetings and other behavior. Some configuration has to be done at the Google Voice legacy site.

I'm off StraightTalk now but still use the GV messaging.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you. I tried Google Voice as well, but it appears it's not compatible with T-Mobile and I guess my service, even though it's through TracFone, is actually through T-Mobile.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thank you. I tried Google Voice as well, but it appears it's not compatible with T-Mobile and I guess my service, even though it's through TracFone, is actually through T-Mobile.
Does the service not support call forwarding when busy/no answer?

Alternatively you can try looking into a similar type of voicemail service from YouMail.

Reactions: G-Ziss

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
It doesn't seem to be supported by T-Mobile, which apparently is who my Tracfone service provider is.

Thank you for the tip about YouMail. I tested it out briefly and it seems to be working. This should be fine until I can get the underlying issue resolved.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It doesn't seem to be supported by T-Mobile, which apparently is who my Tracfone service provider is.

Thank you for the tip about YouMail. I tested it out briefly and it seems to be working. This should be fine until I can get the underlying issue resolved.
Realistically Google Voice voicemail should work the same way that YouMail's voicemail works as far as setting up call forwarding to point to it.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You might try to change the password via the phone for your voicemail. Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password.

I had occasional Voicemail issues with iOS 11 where it would have a "dial voicemail" link on the vm panel. If I went to the Change Password panel and type in my existing passcode, issue would get fixed.

Alternatively, I did a reset as new at 11.2.6, if I recall correctly (Mid January/February-ish, weird battery drain), and have not seen any vm issues since.

Reactions: Vivian Nicholas

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Realistically Google Voice voicemail should work the same way that YouMail's voicemail works as far as setting up call forwarding to point to it.

You would think so, but Google Voice explicitly states that it does not work with T-Mobile Prepaid Plans when I try to do it.
[doublepost=1523683860][/doublepost]
You might try to change the password via the phone for your voicemail. Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password.

I had occasional Voicemail issues with iOS 11 where it would have a "dial voicemail" link on the vm panel. If I went to the Change Password panel and type in my existing passcode, issue would get fixed.

Alternatively, I did a reset as new at 11.2.6, if I recall correctly (Mid January/February-ish, weird battery drain), and have not seen any vm issues since.

Hmm...I don't seem to have a Change Voicemail Password option under Settings > Phone

But it sounds like what you suggest should work since my Voicemail panel also only says Dial Voicemail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.