Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
On iOS 15 Safari tab bar, when you tap the double square icon, it shows Safari tabs of the same device and does not display iCloud tabs from other devices.
This facility was there on iOS 14, but with the redesigned Safari in iOS 15 this feature seems to have been removed.
Now iCloud tabs from macOS are shown only inside the Tab window of Safari on iOS 15, which can be tapped to open, but cannot be closed from iOS device itself.
Now the iOS 15 Safari does not have an option to close iCloud tabs of other apple devices showing on the iOS Safari. only the tabs of the same device alone can be closed now, but not the iCloud tabs from other apple devices.
Am I missing something?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
On iOS 15 Safari tab bar, when you tap the double square icon, it shows Safari tabs of the same device and does not display iCloud tabs from other devices.
This facility was there on iOS 14, but with the redesigned Safari in iOS 15 this feature seems to have been removed.
Now iCloud tabs from macOS are shown only inside the Tab window of Safari on iOS 15, which can be tapped to open, but cannot be closed from iOS device itself.
Now the iOS 15 Safari does not have an option to close iCloud tabs of other apple devices showing on the iOS Safari. only the tabs of the same device alone can be closed now, but not the iCloud tabs from other apple devices.
Am I missing something?
Yes, sir. You Might be missing something here. Follow these quick simple steps I offer below, pls give me feedback if they work:

they now appear in the start page on iOS. Just press and hold on the tabs from other devices to delete them

Reactions: GBstoic

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Yes, sir. You Might be missing something here. Follow these quick simple steps I offer below, pls give me feedback if they work:

they now appear in the start page on iOS. Just press and hold on the tabs from other devices to delete them
This does in fact work on an IOS device to close iCloud Tabs on a Mac or other IOS device. HOWEVER, perhaps I am missing something too, but there doesn't appear to be a way on a Mac running Safari 15 to close IOS iCloud tabs from a Mac. Anyone have any ideas about how to do this? Thanks!

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
This does in fact work on an IOS device to close iCloud Tabs on a Mac or other IOS device. HOWEVER, perhaps I am missing something too, but there doesn't appear to be a way on a Mac running Safari 15 to close IOS iCloud tabs from a Mac. Anyone have any ideas about how to do this? Thanks!
Hover over the tab you want to close and an 'X' will appear on the right.

commanderclif

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Florida
IOS 15 Changed how you close these tabs. You use to be able to swipe across and reveal a delete button. Now you have to long press and then select the Close Tab at the bottom of the list of options.

Try it on an iPhone for a fun bug of where the page preview/menu of options pushes the Close tab button off the bottom of the screen so you have to scroll with your press finger up to reveal the Close but not let go and not slide up too far or tab will open and then use a SECOND finger to hit the close button. Easier on a iPad.

Reactions: uandme72

benig

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008

Thank you, sir!
Worked like a charm.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Nope, this doesn't work either. :(
Weird. It should look like this.

Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 9.40.23 AM.png

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
while upgrading everything this week,
I noticed that all the  settings are somewhere else
because they were moved.
I forgot exactly where, but the tab thing is in the 3 dots.

so far, safari and iosx 15 are good improvements.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Weird. It should look like this.

View attachment 1844671
So, when I right click or control click on my iCloud tabs (on my Mac) for my iPhone or my iPad nothing happens. I don't get anything to pop up. Both my iPhone (XS) and my iPad (air 4) have been updated to the latest software. I can't figure it out. It's particularly annoying because the listing for my iPhone iCloud Tabs has 27 tabs, but when I go to my actual phone, I only have 6 tabs open. I would love to clear those other 21 tabs that have long since been closed. This may be an apple support question.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Has anyone noticed Jon their iPhone in iOS 15 if you use tab groups separate from default tabs the regular tabs auto delete despite the settings in settings safari?!

Safari will have a normal list of open tabs (this is the one that shot deletes in a day or two with iOS 15.0.1) however my tab group where I keep macrumors tabs open remains untouched.

downloading 15.0.2 now.

Attachments

• D6C8A8C4-DCDC-4C6E-970D-779AF8A914ED.png
    D6C8A8C4-DCDC-4C6E-970D-779AF8A914ED.png
    862.3 KB · Views: 104

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thank you, sir!
Worked like a charm.

I must be missing something here. I’ve tried the suggestion or misunderstanding it but this is all I get.

Attachments

• D22DEEC2-6869-4CEE-96F7-7A6E585DC355.png
    D22DEEC2-6869-4CEE-96F7-7A6E585DC355.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I must be missing something here. I’ve tried the suggestion or misunderstanding it but this is all I get.
On the start page, there should be a section for iCloud Tabs. (If it doesn't show up, make sure your start page is configured to show it.) Then within that section, if you tap and hold the site or "tab", it gives you the option to close it. See my screenshot earlier in this thread to see what this looks like. It was taken from macOS, but it looks similar on iPhones and iPads too.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.