Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2016
A new iphone user and noticed a very annoying and irritating (according to me, maybe it is very useful for others) subject on iphone.

When the screen is locked then you can not reject calls with button. There are some other ways to do it like pressing on/off button twice, remind me later, vs vs but not with simply pressing the button.

What is the purpose of not allowing directly rejecting, declining on lock screen?

Is there any option to bring decline button on?

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I think it's either volume down or power button. Just push it and it rejects the call.

I think the lack of a reject button is for accidental pressing. It's easy for a touchscreen to misinterpret input.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I just press the power button twice to reject and the volume button down once to silence the ring.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I had a call I wanted to reject earlier today and noticed this issue. I just pressed the power button once and it stopped ringing. So did this just silence it, and a two times press rejects it then? I never thought to try the volume button. iPhone 7

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A new iphone user and noticed a very annoying and irritating (according to me, maybe it is very useful for others) subject on iphone.

When the screen is locked then you can not reject calls with button. There are some other ways to do it like pressing on/off button twice, remind me later, vs vs but not with simply pressing the button.

What is the purpose of not allowing directly rejecting, declining on lock screen?

Is there any option to bring decline button on?
It's not there essentially so that someone doesn't accidentally reject the phone call when they are getting the phone out of their pocket or purse, for example. There's no way to add it to the lock screen (short of perhaps jailbreaking and using some tweak that might allow for that). Best thing is to just use the lock/sleep button to silence and reject if pressed twice (or the volume buttons to just silence the call).

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
All I have ever done is hit the lock button one time. I get calles from spammers all the time from cities that are far away and I simply hit the lock button one time and it stops.

What is the difference in hitting the button once or twice. Just want to silent the call and send it to the answering service to see if they leave a message.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
All I have ever done is hit the lock button one time. I get calles from spammers all the time from cities that are far away and I simply hit the lock button one time and it stops.

What is the difference in hitting the button once or twice. Just want to silent the call and send it to the answering service to see if they leave a message.

My understanding is that pressing the lock button once just silences the call and it will eventually go to voicemail. Pressing the lock button twice will immediately reject the call and send it to voicemail. So they do pretty much the same thing, the double press is just more immediate.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the reject option comes up only if the screen is already on, i believe. If the screen is locked, it wont show the reject button
Not as much as the screen is on but basically if the device is unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.