Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
UK
I'm not sure whether this belongs in the iOS or Mac forums, but hope it's ok here.

I've been in touch with Rogue Amoeba support over this as it involves Audio Hijack and Fission along with iTunes on the Mojave and on iOS (iPhone XR). They have been extremely helpful, but have not been able, so far, to replicate the problem.

Anyway, here it is.

• Record a vinyl album with Audio Hijack to AIFF
• Open the AIFF in Fission and edit it by adding markers for individual tracks and entering metadata
• Save the edited AIFF
• Export the individual track to AAC high quality setting (256 kbps 44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
• Import the track to iTunes using the folder Automatically Add to iTunes in the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media folder
• Wait for the tracks to upload to the iCloud music library
• Wait for the tracks to download to iOS
• Press play on iOS

Results in the track appearing to play (the play bar moves and the indicator shows it is playing) but no sound.

On HomePod Siri says she cannot play that item right now.

Converting the tracks to AAC (File>Convert menu) creates new tracks that are playable.

Has anyone experienced this and have any suggestions?

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It looks like Fission isn’t exporting the AAC file correctly. Check export settings? What kind of container file is it creating? What is the file extension?

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’ve always had great results using Audacity.
Would that accomplish the same thing as Fission for the editing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.