Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cognus

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2012
Texas
Gang this regards a lovely 2014 MBA with the default Apple 128GB SSD. I have been searching for simply how to get the option, when erasing a disk, to format it to APFS. When I start with Command + R, and choose Disk Utility, I have a different Menu than what I see in the numerous threads on my question: on this macbook there is no View option, and if I am reading the other posts correctly, I must expose ALL disks/volumes to get that option. As is, the system seems locked into Extended Journaling, even though I had/have it upgraded to Catalina/APFS. Can someone please enlighten me? I assume I am dealing with some older version of Disk Utility..

Thanks much
c

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I just booted into Recovery Mode (command-key R-key) and View→Show All Devices is present. When you do Disk Utility→About Disk Utility, from Recovery Mode, what is shown? The version I see is the same as the version in normal mode, 19.0 (1704).

Toledospod

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2020
Toledo, OH
Gang this regards a lovely 2014 MBA with the default Apple 128GB SSD. I have been searching for simply how to get the option, when erasing a disk, to format it to APFS. When I start with Command + R, and choose Disk Utility, I have a different Menu than what I see in the numerous threads on my question: on this macbook there is no View option, and if I am reading the other posts correctly, I must expose ALL disks/volumes to get that option. As is, the system seems locked into Extended Journaling, even though I had/have it upgraded to Catalina/APFS. Can someone please enlighten me? I assume I am dealing with some older version of Disk Utility..

Thanks much
c

Can you take a picture of what Disk Utility looks like? I know you won't be able to take a screenshot in recovery mode as there's no way to do this. View button should be visible in Disk Utility if its on later MacOS like Mojave or Catalina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.