Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Hi,

I used to talk to my dad (which lives in another country) via FaceTime. I use an iPhone 6s Plus, he was using the old iPhone 4 I gave him. That's the unique purpose of that iPhone, since my dad is a newbie in anything around technology. He learned how to make and receive calls, that's all.

The iPhone 4 is getting old so this summer I offered him an iPad mini 2. Bigger screen, better image quality, old man, you know... all benefits.

Since then we are having trouble talking. Here's the situation, easy mode:

My dad audio calls me > everything ok
My dad video calls me > usually ok, sometimes he can't hear me, I hear him fine
I audio call my dad > he can't hear me, I hear him fine
I video call my dad > he can't hear me, I hear him fine

What can be the problem?

I had an iPhone 6s Plus, now I have a 7 Plus and also an iMac 5K 27". Having issues with both.

Help please!
Thank you

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
I moved to Germany recently and have had issues with this as well. We have satellite internet and I can only assume that it is just a bad connection to them in the states.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I moved to Germany recently and have had issues with this as well. We have satellite internet and I can only assume that it is just a bad connection to them in the states.

In my case that doesn't explain why it used to work before and not now.
We both still use the same connections as before. I also tried using 4G since I have unlimited data...

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
I didn't, because my dad doesn't use the iPad for other activities so he's not touching buttons randomly. If I try to call him and there's no sound, and if two minutes later he calls me back and it works... I really doubt that volume changed in the meantime.

But... I'll try that the next time. Just in case. Haha.

Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.