Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
I have a Mid 2013 13" MacBook Air and the hinge is broken, meaning that it will fall almost flat with the keyboard. Also, whenever I adjust it, the hinge makes alarming sounds :eek:. I'm guessing that this was probably caused by longterm stress on the hinge throughout the almost 4-years I have been using it.

I'm wondering how much it will cost to repair it, as the Air is out of warranty. If anyone has who has experience or knowledge can inform me about this, that would be great :).

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It depends on whether it's the hinge itself or wether it is the screw holes in the upper casing that are loose.

Have you removed the bottom cover to examine the hinges?

Flopstar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2017
It depends on whether it's the hinge itself or wether it is the screw holes in the upper casing that are loose.

Have you removed the bottom cover to examine the hinges?

No, I haven't done anything of that sort like removing the case. Thank you for the help though. I might take it into the Genius Bar at some point to see what how the Apple people will negotiate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.