Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
So the new 2022 iPad Pro has Wi-Fi 6E…any good reason the iPhone 14 series did not get it? Can’t see why they could not include it given they were announced and introduced within a month of each other…

AdmiralKirk

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
I'm actually worried what this means. The 14 has no wifi 6e, no usb c, like they deliberately held back features from the 14 because they are on an iterative cycle right now rather than anything revolutionary coming soon. Like, if the 14 had these then there will be even less reason to get the 15 when it's announced.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I'm actually worried what this means. The 14 has no wifi 6e, no usb c, like they deliberately held back features from the 14 because they are on an iterative cycle right now rather than anything revolutionary coming soon. Like, if the 14 had these then there will be even less reason to get the 15 when it's announced.

Consider that Apple held the prices at $999 and $1,099 for the iPhone 14 Pro series while it received some significant upgrades.

iPhone 15 is looking to be the final form of iPhone 12, but I don't think it's because they're deliberately holding anything back.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The iPhone 14 is a placeholder for the iPhone 15 that will have usb c, reverse wireless charging, camera upgrades, WiFi 6e. Wifi7 will be present on iPhone 16.

Apple always holds back.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
any good reason the iPhone 14 series did not get it?
Just a guess, but I imagine availability of chips might be an issue. Low-power 6E chips are still fairly new, and given the ongoing supply chain issues, perhaps Apple wasn't confident that they would have what they needed, given the huge number of iPhones. Or perhaps the chips that were available had other compromises they didn't like - power, size, etc.

I always want the new shiny, but I'm content to wait another year or two for this, not least because Wifi 6E infrastructure is still pretty scarce. I was in the market for a new router around March/April this year, and it was pretty slim pickings (at least here in the UK). Almost all options were some combination of very expensive, out of stock, or with indifferent-to-poor reviews. I read a lot of technical reviews where the gist was 'in specific circumstances, this router puts up impressive numbers, but it's also inconsistent and unreliable in others, and overall its predecessor is a better bet'.

Reactions: estabya

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
6e won't really be that useful for a phone, tablet, tv box, etc.

Where it really sucks to be missing is on the macbook air/pro with the M2. Higher bandwidth makes the most sense for large file copies on local networks like macbooks -> NAS / network shares / etc.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
6e won't really be that useful for a phone, tablet, tv box, etc.

Where it really sucks to be missing is on the macbook air/pro with the M2. Higher bandwidth makes the most sense for large file copies on local networks like macbooks -> NAS / network shares / etc.

I can’t imagine the new MBPs won’t have 6E, especially now that the iPads pro have it. It’ll likely be a feature that’s exclusive to pro devices for a while.

Just a guess, but I imagine availability of chips might be an issue. Low-power 6E chips are still fairly new, and given the ongoing supply chain issues, perhaps Apple wasn't confident that they would have what they needed, given the huge number of iPhones. Or perhaps the chips that were available had other compromises they didn't like - power, size, etc.

I agree with you. I can’t imagine they’d have been able to procure enough low power 6E chips to meet demand for the 14 Pros.

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
I can’t imagine the new MBPs won’t have 6E, especially now that the iPads pro have it. It’ll likely be a feature that’s exclusive to pro devices for a while.

I agree with you. I can’t imagine they’d have been able to procure enough low power 6E chips to meet demand for the 14 Pros.

Def could make sense to limit to pro line. Honestly for most it won't matter. It was just annoying seeing $600 pc laptops getting wi-fi 6e but $3000 mac laptops not having it :)

Reactions: compwiz1202

nquinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2020
Or $8000 2022 Mac Studios not getting it, for that matter.
LOL forgot about that. That was a big miss. I figured once all the M2 variants came out is when Apple would start adding it, but it's not like the wi-fi chip is part of the M2 SoC you know?

I have an M1 Max (24core) right now and splurged on it, but really wish I could have waited for wi-fi 6e, av1 hardware decoding, and a faster SD slot. All are pretty minor though for my needs. I'll just aim to upgrade in about 6-7 years when wi-fi 7 is around and routers are more affordable. (avialable 2025 roughly, routers prob more affordable by 2027).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.