Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Hey guys,

Just thought it would be good to collect and share the best noise reduction plugins for photoshop or applications themselves.

I personally think that Imagenomic's Noiseware Pro is by far the best. It has been nothing but fantastic every time I have used it. What do you guys like?

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I personally like Nik Software's Dfine 2.0, but it is also the only one I have used. I would be interested to know what other people use and like too.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
personally i have a cusom photoshop action that stops at the point when i adjust the amount if blur and fade to reduce noise in the dark areas which at that point are all selected and prepped. It has worked wonders for me so far and i have never seen the need to get something else.
//F

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Dfine is great, I use as well through Aperture!

I use Dfine through aperture as well! I have tested noise ninja side by side with Dfine and in my testing ( your millage may vary ) it proved to work better and still give fairly sharp images over noise ninja.

canonguy

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
From what other Pro's have told me... Genuine Fractals seems to be the standard. I don't use anything... but I have been told that this is the only way to go.

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
From what other Pro's have told me... Genuine Fractals seems to be the standard. I don't use anything... but I have been told that this is the only way to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Genuine Fractals was for image enlargement not noise reduction or removal.

John

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Noise Ninja works extremely well if you use the noise profiler tool and build a custom noise profiler for your camera... I can get about 2 stops noise improvement without any noticeable degredation in sharpness

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Noise Ninja and Neat Image are quite good, and work about the same way. I can't tell any difference from one to the other. After using both, I bought Neat Image, not because it's better than Noise Ninja, but because I got a nice school discount for the Pro version. I could have gotten a similar discount from Noise Ninja (I imagine), but only needed one of the two applications.

Neat Image allows for having total control of the amount of noise reduction one wants. Here are some of the features available with the Pro version (v. 4.7). I use it with PSE6, but it also works with CS4, etc. It's just a Plugin like PSE's "Reduce Noise" feature. Neat Image appears at the bottom of the "Filter" menu in PSE. PSE's "Reduce Noise" appears approximately half-way down the filters. The Pro version supports both 8 and 16-bit images, while other versions only support 8-bit images. That's why I purchased the Pro version. I don't remember how much I paid for the plugin, but a full version that is not discounted costs around $60.00, I believe.

Noise Reduction and Image Sharpening
• Advanced noise filter to reduce noise and grain in digital images
• Complete control over the filter settings to achieve the desired level of noise reduction
• Smart sharpening filter to make images look sharper without amplification of noise
• 16-bit image support to fully utilize capabilities of modern image acquisition devices
Photoshop plug-in
• To selectively apply noise reduction to layers and channels
• To streamline use of noise reduction in your workflow
• To automate workflow using Photoshop actions with Neat Image noise reduction

Device Noise Profiles
• Auto profiling to build noise profiles for your camera or scanner on the fly
• Rich set of free pre-built noise profiles in the online profile library
• Profile matcher for automatic matching of pre-built noise profiles to images

Please note that I am not advertising this product whatsoever. I am certain that Noise Ninja works just as well as Neat Image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.