Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0okm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
Hi everyone!

Since about a month every time when i wake up my MacBook Pro 15" (late 2008) it makes strange noises. It is hard to describe them so below is a video which i have recorded:
Anyone have any idea what is that noise?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Where did you get a Unibody MacBook Pro with a modem!?

Seriously, though, I have no idea what that is. Failing logic board, perhaps.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Where did you get a Unibody MacBook Pro with a modem!?

Seriously, though, I have no idea what that is. Failing logic board, perhaps.

I did only say this SOUNDS like in the old days of modems… did not say it IS a modem...(I still remind the painful days of loading "performances" of about 1kb/second and even less… ) :D

and yes: It´s a joke… :D

could also be a HDD beginning to fail. recommend a backup and to avoid use further the MBP before inspection by a pro.

another possibility: Extraterestrial beings from other galaxies have chosen exclusively YOU to start communication with mankind…. ;) You are fit enough to handle laser-swords?

Last edited:

0okm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2016
In fact I have one SSD 128GB where normally HDD would be. And HDD where CD-ROM should be.
How can I make sure if that is HDD or SSD?

Good that two months ago i bought My Cloud and, for the first time, done Time Machine backup.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
In fact I have one SSD 128GB where normally HDD would be. And HDD where CD-ROM should be.
How can I make sure if that is HDD or SSD?

Good that two months ago i bought My Cloud and, for the first time, done Time Machine backup.

so you are safe having backuped. Very good!

it won´t shurely be the SSD (they make never noises, they just stop working if failing) , it´s more likely the HDD.
If the noise comes more from the left side than from the right side (left side is where the optical bay used to be, it seems there to be as you approached your camera near the esc button) it seems even more possible.
You could open the back-cover, put it on the opened screen backside. So that you have access to the open part just in front of you. then start your MBP, and get near with your ears. If the noise comes from the HDD, this is your problem.
Could also imagine a noise from one of the fans as well. Easy to discover with your ears with opened MBP either… but I am pretty shure your HDD is about to die….

As you already have opened your MBP, try to get off the dust inside as well (Fans and related openings)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.