Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I've been using the official Apple silicone cases for the last two generations and they have been great for me, but I'm not too impressed with the color selection for the 14 Pro.

Are there any other silicone case brands you guys could recommend that offer a similar level of quality?

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I've been using the official Apple silicone cases for the last two generations and they have been great for me, but I'm not too impressed with the color selection for the 14 Pro.

Are there any other silicone case brands you guys could recommend that offer a similar level of quality?
Ditto.

Reactions: DeltaHF

Zangoose

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
United Kingdom
My main issue with the Apple silicone cases that in less than a year - Parts of it started to break around the bottom near the charging port and once that was broken, it got worse.

Does anyone know if Apple would have replaced it if I took it into a store at the time or just say its wear and tear? Anyway, I bought a Spigen one in the end to replace it. Not sure what I'm going for the 14 Pro though just yet.

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
My main issue with the Apple silicone cases that in less than a year - Parts of it started to break around the bottom near the charging port and once that was broken, it got worse.

Does anyone know if Apple would have replaced it if I took it into a store at the time or just say its wear and tear? Anyway, I bought a Spigen one in the end to replace it. Not sure what I'm going for the 14 Pro though just yet.

Interesting. That has not been my experience. I've been using the Apple silicone cases for over two years now (with the iPhone 12 and 13) and both remained in like-new condition for the year I used them. I even sold my 12 case, used, on eBay and got some money back out of it. I hope they would have replaced yours, but I don't know.

How was the Spigen in terms of silicone quality and feel?

I have used "cheap" silicone cases in the past and hated how much lint they attracted and how rubbery/cheap they were to the touch. If I could get the same experience with another silicone case at any price point, I'd be really interested in it.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Interesting. That has not been my experience. I've been using the Apple silicone cases for over two years now (with the iPhone 12 and 13) and both remained in like-new condition for the year I used them. I even sold my 12 case, used, on eBay and got some money back out of it. I hope they would have replaced yours, but I don't know.

How was the Spigen in terms of silicone quality and feel?

I have used "cheap" silicone cases in the past and hated how much lint they attracted and how rubbery/cheap they were to the touch. If I could get the same experience with another silicone case at any price point, I'd be really interested in it.
Again, ditto.

If one of us can find such a magical case, it’ll be a glorious day for at least two people. :)

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
For the record, I broke down and ordered another Apple silicone case before my 14 Pro arrives.

The good news is that even though I was skeptical about the blue color, it looks good and is very similar to the 13 Pro silicone case's color.

Reactions: happy orchard

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
For the record, I broke down and ordered another Apple silicone case before my 14 Pro arrives.

The good news is that even though I was skeptical about the blue color, it looks good and is very similar to the 13 Pro silicone case's color.
Another? Which cases do you have now?

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Had this delivered yesterday and I'm lookin forward to trying it out tomorrow. Didn't know this when I ordered, but it included a set of orange and a set of yellow buttons to switch out the black ones on the case.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
Had this delivered yesterday and I'm lookin forward to trying it out tomorrow. Didn't know this when I ordered, but it included a set of orange and a set of yellow buttons to switch out the black ones on the case.

Nice. What do you think of it?

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I ordered this...

OTOFLY Designed for iPhone 14 Pro Max Case, Silicone Shockproof Slim Thin Phone Case for iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7 inch (White)​

Pros:
- The white color is great.
- The case feels the same sticky smooth that the Apple cases do (pretty much.)
- Most of the case feels sturdy.

Cons:
- The non-sturdy parts of the case make me hesitant to keep this.

Let me explain:

On the inside of the case, you can see a cardboard-like stiffness added for support--that's good. But at the volume buttons, power buttons, and the bottom of the phone, no support like that, and the material is very flimsy. Like you can tick it easily with your finger and it just moves back and forth. In other words, this might be the part of the case that rips easily or quickly.

When I hold that case and the Apple case (in midnight) it really is day and night difference. Darn it. But maybe?

Hmmm....

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Another? Which cases do you have now?
I mean “another Apple silicone case”, I don't have any other brands at the moment. :)

Curious to hear what others' impressions are with their non-Apple silicone cases in this thread.

Rivanov

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2010
Netherlands
I have a "cheaper" TPU silicon transparant case for my Deep Purple 14 Pro.
On this color I don't like the anti-yellowing dots on my case. Therefore I ordered the Spigen Ultra Clear Hybrid, because it has a true transparant non-dotted back.

2022-09-16 16_26_51-[iPhone 14 (Plus, Pro & Max)] Accessoires, hoesjes & wallets - iPhones, iP...png
2022-09-16 16_26_59-[iPhone 14 (Plus, Pro & Max)] Accessoires, hoesjes & wallets - iPhones, iP...png
2022-09-16 16_27_06-[iPhone 14 (Plus, Pro & Max)] Accessoires, hoesjes & wallets - iPhones, iP...png

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
I think the risk in buying a non-Apple case is not knowing how much testing they did — I’m assuming that any Apple branded cases would go through much drop testing. Many of the brands on Amazon just seem questionable. And the other thing is that even if another case claims they are MagSafe compatible, I don’t know the strength and quality of the magnets they use.

Brooke795

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2016
San Diego
I ordered this...

OTOFLY Designed for iPhone 14 Pro Max Case, Silicone Shockproof Slim Thin Phone Case for iPhone 14 Pro Max 6.7 inch (White)​

Pros:
- The white color is great.
- The case feels the same sticky smooth that the Apple cases do (pretty much.)
- Most of the case feels sturdy.

Cons:
- The non-sturdy parts of the case make me hesitant to keep this.

Let me explain:

On the inside of the case, you can see a cardboard-like stiffness added for support--that's good. But at the volume buttons, power buttons, and the bottom of the phone, no support like that, and the material is very flimsy. Like you can tick it easily with your finger and it just moves back and forth. In other words, this might be the part of the case that rips easily or quickly.

When I hold that case and the Apple case (in midnight) it really is day and night difference. Darn it. But maybe?

Hmmm....
I tried this when I stupidly tried the 13 pro max pink chalk on my old iPhone 12 Pro Max (surprise. Didn’t work). I agree with everything you said. I absolutely did NOT like how flimsy the bottom was and parts of the sides. I couldn’t seem to find anything that didn’t do this either so I gave up my quest for a “chalk pink” color for my iPhone 12 Pro Max. But thankfully they kept the color for the 14 pro max I just ordered and I finally got to buy the chalk pink and it WILL work this time! Excited to use it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.