Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mileham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
Hello,

Has anyone swapped/upgraded the Broadcom WiFi mini-PCIe card in their cMP for a non-Broadcom card? I have a MacPro5,1 that I'd like to use other OSes with, but Broadcom drivers seem to be lacking for many. That said, if OS X will not work with non-Broadcom cards, that would be good to know as well.

Thanks,
M

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello,

Has anyone swapped/upgraded the Broadcom WiFi mini-PCIe card in their cMP for a non-Broadcom card? I have a MacPro5,1 that I'd like to use other OSes with, but Broadcom drivers seem to be lacking for many. That said, if OS X will not work with non-Broadcom cards, that would be good to know as well.

Thanks,
M

Apple only used Broadcom and Atheros on Macs. You can use the AirPort Extreme with Atheros 9280, it's a drop in, $10ish on eBay and works out-of-the-box until High Sierra, but Apple removed Mojave support for this AirPort model.

I have a Atheros 9280 on my 2008 Mac Pro, but I will replace it for a BCM94322MC that still has Mojave support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mileham

Mileham

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
Cascadia
Thanks for this; I'll research Atheros cards -> I bought an Atheros 9380 from eBay (pulled from an iMac apparently) and it's working well, better it seems than the older Broadcom card.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.