Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drichrds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2016
So my friend has a iPhone 5s and he is able to send iMessages with bubble and screen effects that show up when he sends them on his phone. However if someone sends him the effects he'll get a message like "(sent with lasers)." His motion reduce option is also off and he has tried restarting his phone with no luck. Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Maybe toggle reduce motion on then back off. Seems there have been several weird issues that don't seem to work until the switch for that option is toggled for some reason. Also a reset all settings could quite possibly resolve it.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
What worked for me was to force quit iMessages, go into settings and turn off iMessages, soft reboot and re-enable iMessages again.

Doesn't seem to work with reduce motion enabled, which I find a strange to link it with that setting.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Doesn't seem to work with reduce motion enabled, which I find a strange to link it with that setting.
Not the least bit strange, this is the purpose of the Reduce Motion feature.

The purpose is not "speed up iOS animations" which some people think they are supposed to use it for. People that use Reduce Motion for its intended purpose are cutting down any and all effects that may cause motion sickness, vertigo, seizure, or other. The crazy Message effects fall well within that category.

gwang73

macrumors 68030
Jun 14, 2009
California
I guess I don't find these animations as bad as the zooming in and out of apps and folders, although that has been improved significantly in iOS 10 to where I don't mind it anymore.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I can confirm that it's an intended behavior. I had reduce motion turned on and I wasn't able to see any animations or effects in iMessage for the last 2-3 betas. It's not a bug.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I guess I don't find these animations as bad as the zooming in and out of apps and folders, although that has been improved significantly in iOS 10 to where I don't mind it anymore.
Again, the Reduce Motion feature is not a toggle for I Like The Animations / I Don't Like The Animations.

It is for people physically affected by the motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.