Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Hello everyone!

I am looking to buy an Apple Carplay aftermarket system for my car.
Obviously, I would want it wireless, but even after 4 years of CarPlay, there's just a handful of models available, and prices don't ever go down. It crosses the $1 000 CAD line, which I don't think is a good idea for me to afford.

Thus, I'm looking at non-wireless CarPlay solutions. I've read numerous articles over the past year about Apple killing the Lightning port in the future. I know this is just speculation, but the level of credibility is high, considering Apple recently killed the audio jack, implemented wireless charging solutions (Qi), and is starting to put more emphasis than ever before on wireless solutions such as the AirPods, wireless Beats, and the AirPower mat (RIP).

Based on the slow wireless CarPlay adoption, it wouldn't be smart for Apple to suddenly make nearly all existing CarPlay systems (2015-2019) obsolete with the purchase of new phones.

So my question : Are there any technologies that they could use to mitigate this, so that a portless iPhone would still be compatible with existing CarPlay systems?

I'm just looking to make a purchase that will last in the next 6 years at least.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
did you read the article or just the headline?
rumors suggested that Apple would remove the Lightning port in favor of USB-C, Apple's goal may be to remove all ports entirely.

when you plug your phone into wired CarPlay it uses USB.
so you would just need a new cable with a USB-C connector instead of a lightening connector.

Reactions: JBaby

PsykX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
did you read the article or just the headline?
Did you read the whole sentence you quoted or just the first part?

If it turns out to be USB-C, it will be fine with me.

Last edited:

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I think we are a number of years away from the iPhone going portless. I had a wired version of CarPlay and it was fine. Worked like you would expect. The screen had an our of warranty issue (friggin Pioneer). I know have one of Alpine's wireless models and it is so nice.. If it is something you're going to be keeping around for 6+ years I would look into spending the extra couple hundred dollars for the wireless, but that's just me. Below is the one I have now. I actually found it on eBay for $500. They listed it as used-excellent condition, but they could've told me it was new and I wouldn't have known the difference.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine...n-dash-receiver-black/5723437.p?skuId=5723437

One other thing I'll mention.. When I had the wired version there were times that I would have to unplug and plug it back in. The wireless has yet to not work properly. There was one time it wouldn't connect and I figured out it was because I had turned off WiFi a bit earlier..

Reactions: PsykX

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Because there are so few wireless CarPlay solutions I don't think Apple will kill the last port on the iPhone as long as that exists. They would be either killing new phone sales or killing CarPlay either of which would be really bad business. It may go to USB-C but just a cable will work. They could do a wirless to USB-A but that would seem very stupid.
I think there will be a port on the iPhone for a while longer.

Reactions: PsykX

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Theoretically you can just have a dongle plug into the USB port on the car and then it translates USB to point to point WiFi, and then it would communicate with the iPhone just as well. Then you provide the wireless charger if you want charging.

But I don’t know about a portless iPhone yet. That might take a while. Main problem there is that wireless charging is not so good right now, it’s not as fast, it generates more heat, you can’t use a phone while wireless charging as easily, and carrying around the charging pad while still needing a cable and power brick is much more bulk.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
Just an FYI, even the wireless CarPlay units still need to plug into your phone the first time you use them. I do t think there’s a single unit anywhere that is 100% wireless.

Also, pioneer has some new wireless CarPlay units that are relatively cheap now, around $400 or $500

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I think we are a number of years away from the iPhone going portless. I had a wired version of CarPlay and it was fine. Worked like you would expect. The screen had an our of warranty issue (friggin Pioneer). I know have one of Alpine's wireless models and it is so nice.. If it is something you're going to be keeping around for 6+ years I would look into spending the extra couple hundred dollars for the wireless, but that's just me. Below is the one I have now. I actually found it on eBay for $500. They listed it as used-excellent condition, but they could've told me it was new and I wouldn't have known the difference.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alpine...n-dash-receiver-black/5723437.p?skuId=5723437

One other thing I'll mention.. When I had the wired version there were times that I would have to unplug and plug it back in. The wireless has yet to not work properly. There was one time it wouldn't connect and I figured out it was because I had turned off WiFi a bit earlier..

Likewise... I just picked up the ILX-107 and had it installed at BestBuy. Could not be happier. The wireless connection is pretty much bullet-proof... quality is awesome, and I am totally sold on the wireless adaptation. My wife just got a 2019 Ford Edge and CarPlay is also solid there, but having to plug the phone in every time is such a drag.

With Best Buy rewards certificates ($160) and free installation (I already had an aftermarket head unit, so no additional parts were necessary), I got out the door for about $525 including tax.
[doublepost=1557541563][/doublepost]
Theoretically you can just have a dongle plug into the USB port on the car and then it translates USB to point to point WiFi, and then it would communicate with the iPhone just as well. Then you provide the wireless charger if you want charging.

But I don’t know about a portless iPhone yet. That might take a while. Main problem there is that wireless charging is not so good right now, it’s not as fast, it generates more heat, you can’t use a phone while wireless charging as easily, and carrying around the charging pad while still needing a cable and power brick is much more bulk.

I use the Pitaka magnetic wireless charger in my car... stick the phone on the charger (magnetically), start the car and Wireless CarPlay launches... life is good.
[doublepost=1557541697][/doublepost]
Just an FYI, even the wireless CarPlay units still need to plug into your phone the first time you use them. I do t think there’s a single unit anywhere that is 100% wireless.

Also, pioneer has some new wireless CarPlay units that are relatively cheap now, around $400 or $500

I did not have to plug my Xs Max into my Alpine ILX-107... just set up the BT connection with WiFi on and Alpine connected. It does some weird wifi connectivity (not totally BT), but I did not have to plug my phone in at all, even to set it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.