Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
OOh, I have to get my husband to make me one of those!!

String, screw, washer... shouldn't take him more than a couple of hours. ;)

It WILL work (I remember a similar gadget being sold commercially; it was a bit fancier, that's all). You'd be able to hand-hold at slower shutter speeds, and maybe gain a couple of stops...

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
If it works, it is quite ingenious, but what happens when you have to move and you trip over the string and smash that $1,000 lens? ;)

Seriously, it may be worth a shot - sure beats the premiums for the IS or VR tax on lenses.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Brilliant! You'd need an even surface though probably to secure it under your foot, not that there wouldn't be modifications that could work on other surfaces. Another DIY solution that seems like a good idea. If only I could make a DIY 70-200 f/2.8.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
screw the large white canon lens at the superbowl. your going to see them stepping on a metal washer and string :p
i still want to try (for video) the steady cam idea that was floating around a few years ago

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it should work pretty well, the idea is sound, but the string does have to stay tight, making height adjustments on the go a bit tricky.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
That is crazy. So crazy, I'll have to try it!

I've always been a big fan of leaning up against a wall or tree, but maybe this is what i've been searching for! (you know, besides my two tripods and my monopod)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a few stainless steel 1/4 inch eye-bolts. Easier to tie a string to an eyebolt. I'll try this.

I doubt it will work. When an image is blurred do to camera shake how large is the blur? I'm thinking it is on the order of a few tens of micro meters, maybe 100 uM. The string would allow more movement then that

Easy experiment: Get a long lens and take hand held shot at slow shutter speeds with and without string.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I tried it and it works a little at any shutter speed, even though images at longer sppeds are still crap. At 1/6 sec, my image was pretty good and much better than hand held. It is a quick and dirty trick for when there is no tripod around.

SonicChronicler

macrumors member
Brilliant! You'd need an even surface though probably to secure it under your foot, not that there wouldn't be modifications that could work on other surfaces. Another DIY solution that seems like a good idea.

I've just thought how to sort that AND do away with the washer - therefore making it EVEN cheaper.

Instead of the washer, create a loop you put your foot in - voila!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
It is a good cheap idea that you can use when stretched, ie no room for a tripod or you arent in a position to carry one.

Another alternate and probably easier when on the move is to have a shorter string and a small hook that you can insert into a hole on your belt, removes the issues with tripping over it and makes it less obvious.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Sounds workable, though I once got a crappy (but functional) full-size Samsonite tripod for $5 on sale at Microcenter. Of course, the string method won't tip over like a cheap tripod - though you might trip on the string and face plant into your camera!:eek::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.