Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deelgeel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
Dallas Texas
I recently bought the Notability app for my IOS devices, two iPad Pros and phone, because I needed another note app for my studies. I copied my notes over from another source, went to the Notability website to read the information on how to use the app, set it up so that my devices didn't sync the notes, because I keep different notes on each device, and thought I was done.

A few days ago I opened the app to find all, except for two notes on one device were gone. Not in the trash, not in the cloud, gone. I went back to the app website and read all I could on the subject, followed the instructions, turn off devices, turn off cloud, ect. No good. I called Apple support, they couldn't help me either.

Writing here is my last resort. A few last details are that I had iCloud turned on for the app in Settings, but not iCloud drive in the app. I didn't have any of the other backups turned on. I had not backed up any of my devices in a few weeks. I did go to iTunes and look for backups there and also to the iCloud website. I can re-do these notes from other sources, but it will take me hours. Yes, it would be great if I had a back-up, but silly me thought that this expensive app with many good reviews would keep my notes safe.

Any ideas on finding my notes, or on how not to have this happen again? As it is I'm not comfortable using this app again.

felina

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2017
This is exactly why I will be asking for refund soon - no back up option if you dont want to store to cloud. - and it could be wiped out if its all on cloud automatically

Reactions: max2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.