Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
gentleperson,

my hand writing is quite awful to look at so I am pleased that there is automatic recognition and conversion to text available (and it is working very well.)

And then I stand in awe when I see notes/documents of people with great handwriting and drawing skills done in a variety of apps.

My question: is there an app which converts handwriting to editable text allowing to select any font installed for the converted text? So if I install a nice handwriting font my notes simply look amazing after conversion… and appear to be written by hand. ??

I know that in principle this works in Apple Pages - but I look for something for quick notes that converts my writing to text in any font I install and keeps this converted text placed wherever on the document canvas I wrote (preserving the number of words I wrote per line is a highly welcomed Plus ??), or at least keeps the selected background after conversion via scribble.

To illustrate what I do not want: Select a mathpaper background in Apple Notes. Start writing with Scribble. Text will be recognized and converted but placed on a blank background. As a result your mathpaper is segmented by areas of text which have a blank background.

TL;DR: looking for Notes app with Scribble support which allows to select any installed font for the conversion hand writing->selectable text.
Text is converted and kept in place where ever written on the document canvas.
Keeping the selected background for drawings and converted text is a Plus.

nota bene: as mentioned, Pages allows this in principle. You can apply any font to a Scribble conversion. And you can create text boxes and move them on the page, use place holders, etc. But maybe it’s me: creating a text box, moving it where you want it and then scribble the text in it, readjust the text box size if your notes need to become longer, well, somehow it is not really fast. So maybe there is something out there which just let you write where you want on a page and then converts to text using the font type you want keeping everything in place. ?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.