Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyzhan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2013
Basically I ran into the exact same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7744381?start=0&tstart=0

This happened after I updated my early 2015 13' MacBook Pro from El Capitan to Sierra. I tried to search the problem first but didn't have any luck so sorry if this has been posted before. Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: For what it's worth, iCloud Drive and Reminders are also grayed out, with Keychain also grayed out but checked by default.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Notes requires you to have an Apple email address. If you have not setup an email address, you will need to create an icloud.com email. Check Mail and it will ask if you want to add an iCloud email. Enter an option and it will check to see if it's available.

You should have received a notice when you try to check notes and don't have an email setup.

dsemf

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
Notes requires you to have an Apple email address. If you have not setup an email address, you will need to create an icloud.com email. Check Mail and it will ask if you want to add an iCloud email. Enter an option and it will check to see if it's available.

You should have received a notice when you try to check notes and don't have an email setup.

I don't think this is required if you have updated Notes to the new format that became available with El Capitan / IOS9. The old version did use email as the transport agent.

DS

HeadWest

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2017
Basically I ran into the exact same issue as here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7744381?start=0&tstart=0

This happened after I updated my early 2015 13' MacBook Pro from El Capitan to Sierra. I tried to search the problem first but didn't have any luck so sorry if this has been posted before. Any help is much appreciated!

Edit: For what it's worth, iCloud Drive and Reminders are also grayed out, with Keychain also grayed out but checked by default.

I am having this exact same issue. Any luck figuring it out?

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
I believe you have to have an Apple email setup in order to use Notes. In System Preferences > iCloud > Mail add an email address.

Tony Pujals

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2007
Are you using a MacBook provided by work? If so, it's very likely that you have an IT policy that is preventing you from using iCloud Notes (and Drive, Keychain, etc) syncing. Look under Preferences | Profiles for restrictions. See the following screenshots for what I'm talking about.

notes2.png
notes1.png

Yaelism

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
So basically it's only possible to lock a note if you use notes in icloud?
What about if you only sync them to gmail?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.