Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Can anyone tell me how to disable notification sounds even when in DND mode?

It's driving me absolutely insane. I get a lot of messages on slack and other channels and all I hear are the annoying sounds of notifications coming through, even when I enable DND and through meetings.

I'm at the point where I might throw my MBP out of the window.

When I try and focus on work, all I hear are these ruddy notification noises...!!!!

I need to keep slack and other apps on to interact with them, but I'm not interested in the sound when I have DND enabled! Why has Apple chosen not to disable sound or at least given the option to mute an application when DND is enabled?

If there is no native way to fix this, is there an app that I can use to solve this infuriating problem before I murder my MBP?

(I know I can mute notification sounds in the settings, but that's such a convoluted way of solving this problem as I would have to remember to enable them again after I disable DND).

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions for therapy?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Are you using Control Center to enable DND? If so, why not turn off the sound there to mute it? Three clicks ... not really much effort I'd say.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Are you using Control Center to enable DND? If so, why not turn off the sound there to mute it? Three clicks ... not really much effort I'd say.
I fully understand that's possible, but that doesn't resolve the issue.

I use my touchbar to enable DND, (and I also use the app Muzzle, to do it for me automatically), so DND usually comes on automatically.

I cannot simply mute the sound as I need the sound output for my meetings (Google Meetings in this instance, or simply my background music if I'm focusing on work).

I just want notification sounds muted. Not the entire system, else it would be simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0128672

el k pan

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2022
@beanbaguk were you able to find a solution to this? I'm running into the same issue where I have DND enabled on my touchbar/menubar yet the Slack noitifications keep dinging which is frustrating especially during Zoom meetings etc

5ulo

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
MacOS Ventura 13.0 here.. the problem still exists!!!! Not fixed for M1. No problem on Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.