Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Hi,

I've searched on Google for this but didn't find anything, except maybe for Hangouts.

I have an iPhone and an iPad, both running the latest iOS 10 version. For most apps, notifications are working as expected, or at least as I am expecting them to do: I receive a notification on both devices, but as soon as I clear the notification, it is also cleared from the other device. It is the case for example for Tweetbot, Tapatalk, Facebook as well as built-in Apple apps like iMessage etc...

However, for a few apps, it seems that I only receive a notification on one device, and it is always the device which was used the last time to check that app. For example, if I open that app with the iPad, then the next notification I will receive for that app will be on the iPad, and not the iPhone, unless I open that app with the iPhone, then the notifications switches to the iPhone. I've noticed that behavior with Spark, Facebook Messenger and Google Hangouts, so far.

For Hangouts I've found a thread stating that it's a normal behavior under Android, in order to avoid receiving multiple notifications on multiple devices while you are only texting actively on one device, which in fact is a useful feature I think.

That's why I am not sure if it's a normal behavior on iOS or if I have a bug. For Hangouts and Messenger it's useful actually, because as stated above it avoid unnecessary notifications when you are for example actively chatting with someone on one device only. However, for Spark, an email client, I find it a little bit more annoying.

Thanks,
oMc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.