Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
When I got the 11" iPad Pro last year I thought a long time before buying, and even after I got it I still was berating myself for being so money-tight and not going for the Big One.

But now that iPadOS 16 Beta is out I know why I dit it! Or at least I finally nailed the reason posthumously. The 11" offers premium portability, better than the 12.9", and when I get home I plug it into my monitor and voilà, I got lots of screen estate.

The best of both worlds! I really love Stage Manager and how it's implemented by Apple. Some (many) might differ here, saying that iPadOS is not enough like MacOS. But for me they are different beasts. I don't want the iPad to become a Mac. After having used it as my main computer for months I got a Mac Mini for file server duty and some other stuff and I wondered about how 'complicated' some things seemed to be compared to the iPad.

This is my opinion, but I found the best machine for my use case and it's the 11" iPad Pro!

Dealmans

Suspended
Mar 12, 2022
I agree re the 11” iPad, but stage manager is useless on just the iPad imo, have turned it off. Might be a bit better on the 12.9”. I have a 24” iMac so don’t see myself ever connecting mine to a monitor.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Sure, it's a tight fit on the 11" but I manage to use Stage Manager on it's screen. But nothing keeps you from making the app on the iPad full screen and using Stage Manager on the external monitor as I do.
Good for you.

Do you turn off Recents Windows on the left side and the dock to give you extra space on the iPad itself? I kept trying going back and forth determining which is better and realized its better to have them off while making better use of keyboard shortcuts.

MiniMoke

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Black River, Mauritius
The jury’s still out on the side windows… I might Turn them off but I guess I’ll decide when the final version is out. Still too many glitches and inconsistencies for the moment.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
When I got the 11" iPad Pro last year I thought a long time before buying, and even after I got it I still was berating myself for being so money-tight and not going for the Big One.

But now that iPadOS 16 Beta is out I know why I dit it! Or at least I finally nailed the reason posthumously. The 11" offers premium portability, better than the 12.9", and when I get home I plug it into my monitor and voilà, I got lots of screen estate.

The best of both worlds! I really love Stage Manager and how it's implemented by Apple. Some (many) might differ here, saying that iPadOS is not enough like MacOS. But for me they are different beasts. I don't want the iPad to become a Mac. After having used it as my main computer for months I got a Mac Mini for file server duty and some other stuff and I wondered about how 'complicated' some things seemed to be compared to the iPad.

This is my opinion, but I found the best machine for my use case and it's the 11" iPad Pro!
Posthumously??

SenorWhyMe

Suspended
Apr 1, 2021
for me i still own both but my brother now uses my 11 ipad pro 2018 and i’m on my 12.9 m1 ipad; one thing I noticed since covid I have been enjoying my ipad pro as a desk tablet more than how i used my 11 inch for notes ; so from what i experience when you are going out smaller is better but 12.9 is long for on desk work and he’ll I hope apple releases a 14-16 inch ipad for people like me working on table more often

Reactions: Shanghaichica

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I can relate to some extent, while I got 12.9 M1 in the end, I was really looking hard at 11 for the reasons youve described in your post, OP.
The only limitation at the time of purchase for me was lack of miniLED display on 11" Pro, because I really expected that with M1 will come not only great performance but also a lot more desktop-like features, especially proper external display support, which were finally getting, hooray! I was less impressed with iPadOS 15 tho lol.

I think with proper updates and OLED display, 11" iPad will be perfect all-in-one device for so many people.

perezr10

macrumors 68010
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana

You hit the nail on the head. I can use my 11” iPad Pro on the couch, in the car, or even in the bathroom. And then I can plug it into my Kensington StudioDock and use my 28” 4K monitor with a keyboard and mouse instantly. I have never been a bigger iPad Pro fan than I am now.

The best thing is that I only have one device. I don’t have some stuff on a Mac and other stuff on my iPad. It’s just all on my iPad.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Conversely SM is better in a bigger screen without an external monitor. I never understood all the commotion about having external display support except in rare cases because a desktop is infinitely more useful if you’re going to sit down for any amount of time.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Conversely SM is better in a bigger screen without an external monitor. I never understood all the commotion about having external display support except in rare cases because a desktop is infinitely more useful if you’re going to sit down for any amount of time.
Its for people who want to have one computer-device for all their tasks and situations, at the moment 11" iPP has the potential to be arguably the best of all worlds when it comes to mobility, OS usability and expandability.

iPadOS is far from perfect, not even close to being perfect, I do have my hopes up that within year iPadOS 16 will mature enough that porting macOS apps to iPadOS wont be a question of IF but rather, HOW SOON for developers of those apps.

For me it would be perfect device, regardless of iPads size, as long as I can use desktop-level apps on it, and by desktop level apps I dont mean the "pro" moniker thats been so popular for the past year or so, by desktop level apps I mean having exactly the same amount of control over parameters, regardless of app, on the iPad just like on desktop system while using mouse and keyboard.
I dont need nor want ipadOS to become macOS, tho it might happen to M-powered iPads in the future, I just want desktop apps on it and Im not even asking dev's to port those apps to ipadOS and charge ipadOS app prices, no, Im willing to buy them at macOS prices and be able to use on both devices.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Its for people who want to have one computer-device for all their tasks and situations, at the moment 11" iPP has the potential to be arguably the best of all worlds when it comes to mobility, OS usability and expandability.

iPadOS is far from perfect, not even close to being perfect, I do have my hopes up that within year iPadOS 16 will mature enough that porting macOS apps to iPadOS wont be a question of IF but rather, HOW SOON for developers of those apps.

For me it would be perfect device, regardless of iPads size, as long as I can use desktop-level apps on it, and by desktop level apps I dont mean the "pro" moniker thats been so popular for the past year or so, by desktop level apps I mean having exactly the same amount of control over parameters, regardless of app, on the iPad just like on desktop system while using mouse and keyboard.
I dont need nor want ipadOS to become macOS, tho it might happen to M-powered iPads in the future, I just want desktop apps on it and Im not even asking dev's to port those apps to ipadOS and charge ipadOS app prices, no, Im willing to buy them at macOS prices and be able to use on both devices.

Apple will never cannibalize its Mac sales by making iPad function the same as a Mac so I doubt those full power apps will ever come. They might but they will still be gimped in the same way Stage Manager is. Apple wants to sell you multiple devices.

Reactions: GhostOS
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.