Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
People know that I like Olympus SLRs and ZLRs but I have always wondered about their point and shoot group. Since digital cameras, people have been having trouble working their point and shoot cameras while the more expensive cameras are always easy to use.

At Photokina, they showed wooden point and shoot camera ideas and the techniques to make the cases: http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVENTS/PKNA06/1159171572.html

I'm wondering what they're thinking because I think they've lost their collective minds.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
That is really cool. I love the incorporation of natural materials into modern applications, such as this.

But wood being harder than polycarbonate plastic? I feel like it may have the compressionary strength to merit that claim, but i doubt that it has the tensilary strength... i feel like it could easily just be cracked apart along the grain.

We'll see, i guess.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
I love it! I carve wood from time to time, and have hence come to really appreciate the visual/tactile qualities of that substance. Given a choice, I'd buy the wood camera over a plastic one every time (output quality being equal, of course).
Hell, come to think of it, I'd buy a rock camera...that would be cool!

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
bousozoku said:
I'm wondering what they're thinking because I think they've lost their collective minds.

I have to say I love the idea of using wood over plastic/metal. And I don't see how the material would make it any less functional.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Hey if it helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable sources of materials like oil, I'm all for it.

Pretty soon we'll have camera trees sprouting all over the place, and that must be a good thing ;) .

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
But we need to cut down an old tree just to get that wood.

Personally, I like the use of metal and certain synthetic materials for things. I love wood the most, but I'm always thinking about rare expensive types of wood made for furniture, and how big a waste it is just because it's a rarer type of wood. It may not even look nicer. :eek:

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Abstract said:

Personally, I like the use of metal and certain synthetic materials for things. I love wood the most, but I'm always thinking about rare expensive types of wood made for furniture, and how big a waste it is just because it's a rarer type of wood. It may not even look nicer. :eek:

I guess I was idealizing this to be newly-grown trees specifically planted for this purpose. I certainly wasn't advocating cutting down beautiful old-growth forests so that I can have a wooden MBP (although maybe one tree wouldn't be sooo bad :cool: ).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My biggest peeve is things that are on sites like http://www.Sybarites.org, where sometimes a big name designer of accessories or whatever will creat a limited edition iPod holder made of wood, and it'll cost like $300 because the wood is so rare.

I'd just feel bad if I owned such a thing.

Problem is that once you start offering wood cameras, some rich idiots are going to demand a camera made out of some weird wood from Africa or something that's very very rare, and I'm sure one of the camera companies will make 100 limited edition versions of this and sell it, meaning a few idiots will get a camera made out of rare wood and kill a rare tree just so that they can take photos with something more valuable than the camera technology inside, and any photos they ever take. :rolleyes:

EDIT TO ADD: http://www.sybarites.org/2006/09/15/minox-dc1011-carat-gold-plated-digital-camera/

Dang, I didn't know Leica was owned by Hermes.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Abstract said:
My biggest peeve is things that are on sites like http://www.Sybarites.org, where sometimes a big name designer of accessories or whatever will creat a limited edition iPod holder made of wood, and it'll cost like $300 because the wood is so rare.

I'd just feel bad if I owned such a thing.

Problem is that once you start offering wood cameras, some rich idiots are going to demand a camera made out of some weird wood from Africa or something that's very very rare, and I'm sure one of the camera companies will make 100 limited edition versions of this and sell it, meaning a few idiots will get a camera made out of rare wood and kill a rare tree just so that they can take photos with something more valuable than the camera technology inside, and any photos they ever take. :rolleyes:

I completely agree that this type of thing can be exploited and taken to extremes, much like anything. If Olympus can make cameras responsibly and with lower environmental impact thanks to this new technology, great. If it's just a gimmick to charge more and deplete existing hardwood stocks, it's total crap. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Cheers.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Abstract said:

pallet wood is the main culprit, it's made from all the unrecognised trees they cut down some are hardwood some are softwood and most of them end up being used once or twice then being burnt, one of my friends who is into furniture makeing only uses them for her wood as it's free and often of good quality when cleaned up a bit.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Ouch...I just got a splinter takinga shot.

I will keep to the plastic / metal / alloy cameras - they can take a fair amount of the elements and punishment of the day to day operator...

I gues the weather sealed wood ones would be teak with annual coats of thompsons...;)

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
gauchogolfer said:
...I can have a wooden MBP (although maybe one tree wouldn't be sooo bad :cool: ).

For some reason, putting a sizzling MBP into a block of wood doesn't sound very safe to me...

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Um, things "catch fire" when you reach a certain temperature.

Fahrenheit 451 should have taught you that paper, AKA wood, is about 400 degrees.

if you "baked" a book at 500 degrees, I am sure it would catch on fire eventhough there is no open flame.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Sdashiki said:
Um, things "catch fire" when you reach a certain temperature.

Fahrenheit 451 should have taught you that paper, AKA wood, is about 400 degrees.

if you "baked" a book at 500 degrees, I am sure it would catch on fire eventhough there is no open flame.
I knew that but am not to familiar with Farenheit and thought it was lower.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Mord said:
pallet wood is the main culprit, it's made from all the unrecognised trees they cut down some are hardwood some are softwood and most of them end up being used once or twice then being burnt, one of my friends who is into furniture makeing only uses them for her wood as it's free and often of good quality when cleaned up a bit.

Don't forget about pulp wood, used to make paper, and wood for plywood. I'm from Canada, and I've seen thousands of clear-cuts first-hand in the mountains of British Columbia. I planted trees for 12 years. Trees do re-grow, and not too much harm is done (in my opinion) if the trees are not cut too quickly, and if care is taken to replace the trees. Believe it or not, I've planted about 1,200,000 trees, with a little shovel, my right hand, and my aching back. (The most I planted in one day was 5,000 trees--usual average more like 1,700) I may be wrong to think so, but i figure I've earned a wooden camera or two.

Also, Free wood for making things is the best--one can find some really interesting pieces.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
freebooter said:
Don't forget about pulp wood, used to make paper, and wood for plywood. I'm from Canada, and I've seen thousands of clear-cuts first-hand in the mountains of British Columbia. I planted trees for 12 years. Trees do re-grow, and not too much harm is done (in my opinion) if the trees are not cut too quickly, and if care is taken to replace the trees. Believe it or not, I've planted about 1,200,000 trees, with a little shovel, my right hand, and my aching back. (The most I planted in one day was 5,000 trees--usual average more like 1,700) I may be wrong to think so, but i figure I've earned a wooden camera or two.

Also, Free wood for making things is the best--one can find some really interesting pieces.
How did you plant 1000 trees?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.