Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Just thought I would share this. The technology and images are pretty amazing. I have seen Eric Hanson lecture about this and I have his Maya DVDs where he talked about this at great length. It seems he and others have taken this a step farther and created this website

http://www.xrez.com/

Try zooming in on the images it's pretty insane stuff.

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
Isn't this the same person that took a bunch of pics of the Australian skyline and the ruins of Machu Picchu and allowed you to zoom waaaaaay in? It's awesome, real cool stuff.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
:eek: That's insane. And Yosemite is pretty... I need to go there again...

I can't find the climber nor the hiker. Are they foolin' with me?

It may be resolution, or the people may be where the frames are stitched together- if you look at the first Boston scene you can see the strangeness in the flag and the white car's ghost behind itself.

gregdowning

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Venice California
Isn't this the same person that took a bunch of pics of the Australian skyline and the ruins of Machu Picchu and allowed you to zoom waaaaaay in? It's awesome, real cool stuff.

Hi Guys,

I am one of the photographers from xRez. Thanks for the kudos! The Macchu Piccho and Austrailia image was a different photographer, but it was the same technique, stitching multiple images. In our case we shot about 350-600 images to create our panoramas. Be sure you go into the technology section and check out some of the time-lapse and other images too!

-Greg Downing
http://www.xrez.com/
http://www.gregdowning.com/

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Greg

Good to see you here, you have some pretty amazing stuff there!!! I have been doing a lot of training though the Gnomom school DVDs (mostly Maya) and I have to say the stuff you guys do there is just mind blowing. I'm a big fan of a lot of the talent there, Eric, Alex, Dylan, yourself included. Again, excellent stuff!

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I saw something like this once, but I dont think it's the same thing. A guy didnt just take 600 pictures and splice them together. Just one. He used an old camera that was used in spy-planes. It (along with its film) was HUGE! I'll see if I can find the website.

Ah yes, here.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I saw something like this once, but I dont think it's the same thing. A guy didnt just take 600 pictures and splice them together. Just one. He used an old camera that was used in spy-planes. It (along with its film) was HUGE! I'll see if I can find the website.

Ah yes, here.

Please see post #5 in this thread ;).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.